Grub Error 21

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Grub Error 21

Post by Husse »

This seems a bit strange
You say on a partition - I assume that you have at least created a root / and a swap partition
With Vista all sorts of things have been reported....
Can you boot XP?
You could try to repair grub, but it does not seem to really be that kind of problem
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _your_grub
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

One thing you might try is to see if your BIOS has a setting for type of OS, if so set it to Unix or Other. I had this problem on an old emachines with XP and Ubuntu not getting along. I'm not sure what the issue is with that, all the other computers i've ever had worked great. Just an idea, very well may not work. Grub is saying the disc you want to boot to doesn't exist if I remember correctly.. how is your HDD connected? Is it IDE?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Slave? Is that your only HDD?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

It "should" work just fine but you might see about changing that if you can. Other than that I'm not sure. That sometimes messes things up, not often tho.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Avoid having a hard disk as slave as long as you can. If it's the only drive set it as master and whatever is more on that IDE cable as slave
I think it will work after that - but I can't guarantee it
Husse

Post by Husse »

As you wrote you had XP we can rule out Mac but it's time for you to tell us your hardware, motherboard with details on IDE controller if possible and what hard disk you use

Return to “Beginner Questions”