MintBackup Permission Denied

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

MintBackup Permission Denied

Post by vdeane »

Mint 14

I'm trying to backup my files to an external hard drive connected to another computer on the network. I installed sshfs in order to make the drive visible to applications performing as root (like MintBackup). However, when I try to backup the files, I get "Permission denied". I've checked the permissions a zillion times. MintBackup has permission to write. How do I complete my backup? As of right now, my laptop has NO way to backup files because of this!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
erfunath

Re: MintBackup Permission Denied

Post by erfunath »

Have you tried another backup program? I use luckybackup, which is essentially a fancy front-end for rsync. You could always craft a beautiful rsync script for yourself and run that every time you get paranoid about data loss. :)

Failing that (or you really want to use mint's backup), is there a specific error you could copy/paste for us to investigate?
computerbob

Post by computerbob »

Samba setting for the remote drive must have Write enabled, and the drive in question must have write by others enabled.
erfunath

Post by erfunath »

Have you solved your issue? If so, please mark the title as SOLVED and tell how it's done so others can use your hints.
tadaensylvermane
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tadaensylvermane »

It isn't fancy but unless you absolutely need to retain old backups (I don't) you can just keep it mirrored like so. Just mount the network share to your laptop. I have a pair of these type scripts running every 30 minutes via cron. Backing up home to 2 separate usb flash drives.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
#Backup To USB HDD
#Tadaen Sylvermane
#Last Edit 2014/1/21

#Variables#

BACKUP=/path/to/network/backup/location
SOURCE=/path/to/stuff/you/want/to/backup

#####Begin Script#####

rsync -ru --delete $SOURCE $BACKUP

#####End Script#####
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3969 good place to go if you looking for full system backups.

Return to “Software & Applications”