Linux Filesystem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Filesystem

Post by MagnusB »

Found on another forum a image/diagram explaining the Linux file system folders, could be very useful to those exploring Linux!
http://bp3.blogger.com/_Vbsj-yhipTw/Rva ... ucture.jpg
Notes:
1. All is upper case, while most should be in lower case, mostly since most Unix/Linux filesystems are case sensitive.
2. It is rather simplified, but I am sure most experienced user could make the same size diagram just explaining one folder...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Filesystem

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

MagnusB - Thanks - I saw one similar to this many years ago and wish i had the link or the actual printout. This is beyond me; but I appreciate the post and link! Thanks Man!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Fred

Post by Fred »

MagnusB,

Thank you sir. I can't see it of course, but I can always blow up the part I want to see or show. :-)

A chart like that always comes in handy in a discussion about the file system.

Thanks again,

Fred
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

MagnusB, thanks for the link. That is a great chart which I added to my growing catalog of Linux info. I appreciate it.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I kind of liked it, and think it can be useful for new users. It is nice to see others find it useful as well :)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/linux-or-ubun ... cture.html

found this in one of my files; however, this is not the diagram that I mentioned in my earlier post - if I find it i will post it.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Return to “Beginner Questions”