[SH Script Toolkit] PInstalltools v1.6.62

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gollum17

[SH Script Toolkit] PInstalltools v1.6.62

Post by gollum17 »

Welcome to pinstalltools toolkit, it is an all-in-one toolkit meant to automate most user tasks, it currently runs on Debian, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint. I will not be releasing an rpm version, as I have no way to personally test it, unless people want to volunteer for me. It can be executed from anywhere in the filesystem, and it is fully opensource.
  • [FEATURES - PC Menu]
    - Appendix to describe tweaks/mods/scripts.
    - Root/regular user detection.
    - Automatic backup of system files + restore.
    - Various Scripts.
    - Option to Install smxi (Tested and working on main edition and Debian!!)
    - Option to install/remove packages.
    - Option to install Java and have it automatically update.
    - Power Options Menu (Logoff, reboot (x and system), hibernate, suspend, hibernate/suspend), and shutdown).
  • [FEATURES - Server Menu]
    - Option to install various server specific scripts/tweaks.
    - Option to enable server specific kernel option/modules.
    - Ad blocking hosts file (same as above).
    - Option to install/remove packages.
    - Option to install Java and have it automatically update
    - Power Options Menu (Logoff, reboot (x and system), hibernate, suspend, hibernate/suspend), and shutdown).
    - More to come...
  • [TO DO LIST]
    - Possibly develop an actual application interface - Currently in Progress w/glade
    - Include more stable system tweaks - Currently Working on it
    - Possibly give option to disable IPV6 to speed network, if user doesn't need it.
-Download link-
[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?72f71b1dd9q6te7[/url]

[TO RUN]
extract the tar.gz archive to your working/pinstalltools folder.
cd to the directory the menu script is in (working/pinstalltools).

Code: Select all

sudo sh menu
or as root

./menu 
[SOURCE - Located on github]
https://github.com/gollum18/pinstalltools
  • [THANKS]
    clem - who which this distro probably wouldn't be what it is now
    linux mint teams - for building and maintaining such an awesome os
    wanda - for her awesome tutorials
    D0rkye - fixplymouth script
    MVPS.org - for the hosts file
    smxi.org - For thier smxi script package.
    the rest of the community - for being so supportive of everyone here

If there are any other features, you guys want let me know and I will try to add them. I have lots of experience with android scripting and themeing as well, so if you have any questions there I will gladly help you. Just dont ask me anything about building android source - I can't sync it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 21 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gollum17

Re: [SH Script Toolkit] PInstalltools v1.6.62

Post by gollum17 »

• [CHANGELOG]
    Version 1.6.62
    - homemount script (see appendix for what it does)
    - Add ability to add root users to a pc/server (see appendix for explicit details)
    - Added bachex script (same as chex except it allows for batch perm setting)
    - Enhanced chex script to allow group and other perm setting
    - Removed kernel tweaks (it was unstable to add them this way, use smxi to enable them safely)
    - Added new directory (batch) to store files for use with bachex
    - Added man pages for chex and autoclean (they install automatically, use "man" to view them)
    - Fixed some typos + other minor errors

Version 1.6.32
    - Automattic stock file backup at menu start + restore option, also added root/regular user detection.
    - Added Appendix to describe tweaks/mods. (90% Complete, just have to finish network tweaks description).
    - Delete old file checking system from server side.
    - Ability to force log out users from a server.
    - Updated readme.
    - Updated license file.

Version 1.6.03
    - Fixed those pesky syntax errors
    - Reboot menu now working 100% (May require manually editing the commands per system setup, as I can't account for all hardware, I did the default options)
    - Updated the way the menu script checks for its dependencies
    - Rewrote Network Tweaks script, and added ability to backup/restore stock files.

Version 1.5.01
    - Added ability to remove packages
    - Refined some menus
    - Added fully working java install script
    - Added firefox beta/nightly install script
    - Some other stuff I forgot to remember... (Sorry wanted to make this worth updating this time)

Version 1.3.72
    - Big changes here...
    - Ability to choose between server and pc tweaks.
    - Introduced Server Menu w/server specific tweaks.
    - Added kernel tweaks for servers.
    - Fixed swapfix script to set swap permanently.
    - Now have the option to install apps/games directly from the main menu (As long as they are in the repos).
    - Some other minor stuff I cant remember...

Version 1.2.3
    - Option to install various apps, as well as your own.
    - Option to Install smxi (Tested and working on Mint Main and Debian Editions.
    - Prepare for server integration into the menu script.
    - Fixed some bugs in several scripts.

Version 1.2.0
    - Added several new scripts
    • - chkinstdir
      - fixplymouth
      - inspre
      - menufix
      - networktweaks
      - swapfix
    - added ad blocking hosts file
    - updated menu script to accomadate new menus + functions

Version 1.1.0
    - Converted main script into menu format.
    - Created scripts folder and moved chex and autoclean to scripts folder.
    - Updated readme.md

Version 1.0.0 - Initial Release
Last edited by gollum17 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
gollum17

Re: [SH Script Toolkit] PInstalltools v1.6.62

Post by gollum17 »

[FAQ]

Q1: Why don't the suspend options in the reboot menu work?!
A1: I need to know what hardware you are running in order to make it work,as they are dependent upon hardware. Please type

inxi -GMC
in terminal and either pm me the results or add it to the projects github, if you know how.

Q2: I get an error when starting the menu script?! ex. Syntax, Newline, etc...
A2: In truth this is from me being lazy, and doing this often late at night. These errors don't impede the program at all, they are often very easily fixed, and anyone with technical knowledge to read them can fix the error themselves. Until then, they will be fixed in the next release.

Q3: When I execute parts of the script, I get permission denied?!
A3: This is because you did not execute the script as root. You need to type

sudo sh menu
in terminal.

Q4: After question 3, I still get permission denied?!
A4: Well this means that the scripts are not executable. Don't worry as it is very easy to make them executable, and you only need to do the menu, as running as root or with root perms will make the dependencies executable. Simply cd to the pinstalltools directory and type

chmod u+x menu
, and it will be made executable.

Q5: When opening the menu script, it screams at me and tells me I am missing a directory.
A5: Good, that means that my dependency checking system works as expected. This means that you are missing dependencies needed for the menu script to work correctly, probably the results of bad packets sent over your network. Just re-download it either from this thread or from the projects master github branch, and make sure all the directories are there.

Q6: Help when choosing one of the options in the menu, it either closes the menu or it just stays at the menu.
A6: Well, this isn't good, you found a bug in on of my scripts! You can either pm me here with full details as to what you were trying to do or you can submit the bug to the projects github page, if you know how to. I will provide a temporary fix for it until the next release.

Q7: When opening the menu script, terminal it tells me "menu, No such file or directory found".
A7: You are not in the root directory of the pinstalltools toolkit, please make sure your terminal says something like this "user@system - /directory/to/pinstalltools" before executing the menu script.

Q8: The file backup system doesn't work?!
A8: Well the backup system is dependent on your $HOME variable. It should work, with the way it is currently setup. But if for some reason it does not pm me with specifics in regards to your problem and I will assist you as best I can.

Q9: My system hangs at startup and says error mounting drive, after running the flash drive script!?
A9: Don't worry your system is fine, it is only doing this because the flash drive is not plugged in, either start it with it plugged in, or press "s" when the error occurs to skip mounting. It is added as the last drive to your fstab, so as long as you do not add any after it, all of your other drives will mount (given they don't have any mount errors). I am looking into fixing this in the next release.
Last edited by gollum17 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
FLuKeee

Re: [SH Script Toolkit] PInstalltools v1.5.01

Post by FLuKeee »

Hi,

I am new to the whole Mint thing and I am trying to run your scripts but I am getting the following error when I type pc after the first question. I have tried many different ways to type PC and they all fail. Please advise on what to do.

Is this for a personal computer or a server?: [pc/ser]
"pc"
./menu: 613: ./menu: Syntax error: ")" unexpected (expecting ";;")

Thanks!
gollum17

Re: Re: [SH Script Toolkit] PInstalltools v1.5.01

Post by gollum17 »

FLuKeee wrote:Hi,

I am new to the whole Mint thing and I am trying to run your scripts but I am getting the following error when I type pc after the first question. I have tried many different ways to type PC and they all fail. Please advise on what to do.

Is this for a personal computer or a server?: [pc/ser]
"pc"
./menu: 613: ./menu: Syntax error: ")" unexpected (expecting ";;")

Thanks!
Could you tell me what your default shell is.

Also can you let me know what the output of this command is?

which sh

The scripts are dependent on whether you have sh installed since they are sh scripts.

But if that's happening I'll have to fix that, it's a simple error, I'll upload the fix in a second.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
gollum17

Post by gollum17 »

Edit: Removed
Last edited by gollum17 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gollum17

Post by gollum17 »

Sorry disregard the previous post, this is the one you want..

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?psp9e16qlpc22uq[/url]

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

Return to “Scripts & Bash”