Upgraded from 13 to 15 and broke it.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vbmark

Upgraded from 13 to 15 and broke it.

Post by vbmark »

I was on version 13 and wanted to upgrade to 15. I followed the instructions here: [url]http://www.tecmint.com/upgrade-linux-mint-14-to-linux-mint-15/[/url]

Now when I boot, the interface I used to use is gone (I think it was called Mate). I've tried different interfaces (Gnome, and Ubuntu) from the interface selector, but after I log in then it just shows a whitish screen with some dots -- no task bar or anything, just the white, blank screen with about 8 circles or dots in the center.

How can it recover/fix this?

Note: Even though I updated via apt-get, I do have version 15 ISO burned to DVD if that helps.

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Upgraded from 13 to 15 and broke it.

Post by Spearmint2 »

Why not just do a full install on top of it?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
vbmark

Post by vbmark »

Would that format the drive and cause me to loose documents or delete applications I've already installed? Would I have to reinstall non-default software?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

vbmark wrote:Would that format the drive and cause me to loose documents or delete applications I've already installed? Would I have to reinstall non-default software?
Depends on how you do it. Use the do "something else" and don't change partitions and it should only overwrite the system files and any third party software that originally came on the install which you might have upgraded like Firefox and Thunderbird. You probably should move the mail folders off there first.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
vbmark

Post by vbmark »

OK, I'll give the do "something else" a try.

Thank you.
vbmark

Post by vbmark »

I'm in the live CD and it says that it's going to delete a lot of stuff. What am I doing wrong?

If I don't make any changes in the partition screen it says "No root file system is defined". But if I add a root then it wants to delete stuff.

Why can't I just do a simple reinstall?

This image shows the Installation wizard partion screen with the message below it:
[url]http://i.imgur.com/QNqvoLN.png[/url]
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Point it to the Ubuntu install partition, the sda5, which is already a / mount point. It will ask if you want to overwrite it and tell it will delete stuff, but it will only delete by overwrite of system file unless you tell it to also reformat. Don't allow it to reformat.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

You're going to overwrite, no way around it. Run the live session, copy files you want to save to some other media, then install over your borked Mint upgrade reusing that partition.
vbmark

Post by vbmark »

I pointed it to the Ubuntu install partition, the sda5, which is already a / mount point, and I let it do the install.

Now I get the following:

https://imageshack.us/a/img819/7307/57ps.jpg

Is the next step a format/reinstall?

Every couple of years I try to move from Windows to Linux but I hit stuff like this that makes me go back to Windows. I really want to like Linux but I've never had these kinds of issues with Windows.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Read this, it's very thorough . . . ..

[url]http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2[/url]

I do my upgrades roughly when a new long term support release comes out, never tried upgrading in place for the reasons it suggests, using a combo of a backup as is suggested kin that link, and then a bookmarks and passwords export for firefox, you can be back up and running in a few hours tops including tweeks. Probably a shorter timespan that it would take to download all the files needed . . . . . . .

Fresh installs are the way to go, the more you do, the quicker you'll get, have an external HDD (or spare HDD) or big capacity USB stick or something around and copy over any films, music etc, you ncan back email up in thunderbird, then all your bookmarks and passes in F-fox and you're away.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Duplicate post **
vbmark

Post by vbmark »

OK, so it looks like the recommended upgrade path is to just do a fresh installation. I will format the partition and start from scratch.

I won't loose any data because everything is still in my Windows partition. The only thing I will loose is all the time I spent installing and configuring the software that I like--but, live and learn.

Thank you everyone.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

vbmark wrote:I pointed it to the Ubuntu install partition, the sda5, which is already a / mount point, and I let it do the install.Now I get the following:https://imageshack.us/a/img819/7307/57ps.jpgIs the next step a format/reinstall?Every couple of years I try to move from Windows to Linux but I hit stuff like this that makes me go back to Windows. I really want to like Linux but I've never had these kinds of issues with Windows.
Sorry the overwrite didn't work for you. Works best if it's the same version overwriting itself. It's like doing a "dirty install" in Windows, which often works, but sometimes doesn't. It's worth the try, especially for the times it works, because it might avoid the complete reinstall.

Good decision to keep personal files in separate area, especially on a FAT32 for Windows access too.

Have you only tried Mint? I see you've tried it several times in the past 4 years. I know some feel Kubuntu is "bloated" which is usually the accusation given when something is more full featured. For me it works great. I probably will upset some by saying this, but I look on Kubuntu and Mint like two men walking down the street to their apartments. Kubuntu is sober, walks straight and very litte chance of mishaps. Mint is like the guy who is a wee bit tipsy, and other times staggering drunk, depending on the evening (version). Which is more fun to watch or follow behind on during the walk home? LOL, Mint of course. Will it run face first into a pole, stumble on an uneven sidewalk, maybe decide to walk off the sidewalk and drop a foot in the icy wet pothole most others avoid? It's what do you prefer? Stability, or fun? ;)
vbmark

Post by vbmark »

No, I've tried distributions other than Mint before I discovered Mint. One of my main criteria for selecting a distribution is wide usage so I can get peer support.

I tired Kubuntu a long time ago but don't remember if I liked it or not or what the issues were. I just did some searching on it and there seem to be a lot of complaints right now that the kernel is buggy and unstable.

What I am looking for in Linux is:

- Good community support.
- Stable and fast.
- Good repository of software with easy installation.
- Just works (Mint doesn't seem to fit this criteria for me personally -- there always something that's not working. For example the menu would just start flickering between two groups and other small, bizarre stuff that should not exist with such a mature OS).
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"- Just works (Mint doesn't seem to fit this criteria for me personally -- there always something that's not working. For example the menu would just start flickering between two groups and other small, bizarre stuff that should not exist with such a mature OS)."
Linux is a mature and stable OS. It's the device drivers that are unstable and buggy. Aim your concerns at the device manufactures that refuse for the most part to create stable and bug-free drivers for linux.

Going linux means paying particular attention to what hardware your computer is.
Particularly the Video & wifi chipsets used.

I'm using open default linux graphics driver on my older Ati 4350 running dual display smoothly and trouble free.
Generally most get into problems wanting to run the Nvidia or Ati proprietary drivers wanting for gaming.
Always found having a dual boot Win7 (For games and other apps I need) & Linux the easiest and most problem free solution.

Don't game much so find I'm on Linux side about 95% of the time.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

vbmark wrote:What I am looking for in Linux is:

- Good community support.
- Stable and fast.
- Good repository of software with easy installation
So do not try to install anything else than LTS releases. LM15 is EOL at this year's end... Non-LTS releases are more than ever interim/experimental from Ubuntu dev team point-of-view.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I guess this is why a lot of people have been saying for years that it's a Good Idea to place /home - or at least the user's "data directories" - on a separate partition?
Orbmiser wrote:Linux is a mature and stable OS. It's the device drivers that are unstable and buggy. Aim your concerns at the device manufactures that refuse for the most part to create stable and bug-free drivers for linux.
And to some extent - I don't know how much, but suspect it's rather significant - on all the folks who "would like to try linux, but stick with Microsoft because it has..." and even those who dual-boot linux and Microsoft because they want some things that are only available in a Microsoft OS.

It's hard to be a motivator for companies/entities to develop for the linux world if every time we want to use their apps/etc., we just boot into Microsoft and do so - I think it's like the person who has both a PS3 game console and a home computer... Would like Game Z to be ported to the PC... But goes ahead and buys the game in its PS3 form. The developer has at that point already got the person's money, why bother expending effort on a port when that person might also purchase the port? Sure, a portion will - but probably a (relatively) small percentage.

Complaining about a thing not being available for linux - a game, a driver, office suite, what have you - and then going ahead and using the Microsoft OS version "because its there" doesn't seem anywhere near as productive a strategy as complaining because that thing isn't available in linux and refusing to use the Microsoft OS version, just doing without said thing altogether.

I could be wrong. However, consider this: IDK how many hundreds of thousand (or millions) of computers are sold each year with OEM installations of Microsoft Windows. A fair amount of people (I cannot quantify the amount) buy them and dual-boot linux or even erase Windows and use linux as the sole OS. But the people's money has already been spent... In truth, they have bought and paid for Microsoft Windows whether they choose to use it or not. Buy 10,000 Chevrolets and push them all over the nearest hill because you don't like the engines GM puts in them, lol, GM doesn't care because they're already spending your money. To get their attention, you'd have to spend your money on 10,000 Fords instead in the first place and just send a note to GM letting them know how happy FoMoCo must be with GM for causing you to give your custom to the competitor. To throw a wrench into the gears, so to speak, would require a significant percentage of computer buyers to refuse to purchase computers that have Microsoft on them and to stop purchasing "made for Microsoft Windows OS" hardware, regardless of whether the things can be made to work under linux or not.

It's wonderful that linux is free. But it could be considered unfortunate in a way, too. If I buy a computer, I know I can add linux to it for $0.00. If linux cost me $249.99, I'd probably be looking for a computer that didn't include Microsoft - and charge me for same as a portion of the computer's price - so that I could spend the "OS fee" part of the price on linux.

The above would probably be a rather painful shot to the linux user numbers. To me, that's a lot of grocery money, lol. But it would - I speculate - cause a drop in the number of Microsoft OS licenses sold in a year's time. Probably wouldn't be significant enough to change things, but the way it is now, people who dislike Windows - for that matter, even people who hate it and have no intention of using it... are still contributing to Microsoft's profits.

Got to stop that, lol. Stop paying Microsoft for the chance to run linux on a new computer. Stop purchasing graphics cards, printers, and other hardware that can be made to work in linux and start buying graphics cards, printers, and other hardware that is made to work in linux.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Have you ever wondered what the outcome would be if all computers had to be sold without software and it was up to the buyer to then add the software package he wanted to the computer. He wanders over to the software section of the store and sees a full version of the latest windows for $200 and next to it a Linux box with several distros for choice, from light to full featured, and for $20 to cover mostly costs and a bit of income? What will he try first?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Truly, I have. I fear that the retailer, being offered a much higher profit per unit for selling Microsoft OS, would arrange to have the $20 linux retail boxes placed somewhat farther away from the customers. In the second sub-basement under the tarp in the room that is entered by the (locked) door which bears the sign, "Caution: Rabid tigers ahead."

But it's still a nice idea.

Err... I think I've gone off-topic. Apologies and best wishes to the OP.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

MtnDewManiac wrote:I guess this is why a lot of people have been saying for years that it's a Good Idea to place /home - or at least the user's "data directories" - on a separate partition?
Orbmiser wrote:Linux is a mature and stable OS. It's the device drivers that are unstable and buggy. Aim your concerns at the device manufactures that refuse for the most part to create stable and bug-free drivers for linux.
And to some extent - I don't know how much, but suspect it's rather significant - on all the folks who "would like to try linux, but stick with Microsoft because it has..." and even those who dual-boot linux and Microsoft because they want some things that are only available in a Microsoft OS.
Yep separate /home partition. And all my personal data pictures,music,movies,etc.. are on ntfs external usb drives that way both win7 and linux can access them. Don't have to worry about what to backup where,when,etc..

Also learned quite early with linux is to take partition snapshots of my OS'es partition and also save them to the externals.

That way if Borked :? Then can roll back to when it was working.

As to Dual Boot yep but business clients depend on me delivering their images in a timely manner.
Therefore Lightroom is required for my work. As still struggling with learning darktable.

And don't really game that much so proprietary drivers aren't critical for me as the open drivers work great. And always have the Win7 side for games if the need arises.

Return to “Beginner Questions”