No wifi since the last update

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No wifi since the last update

Postby dzsobacsi on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:49 am

Dear All,

Since I have updated the computer of my wife there is no wireless connection available. Last update contained also a kernel upgrade from 3.2 to 3.9. (Can it cause this problem?) There is a BCM4313 wireless card in there.

Now, if I boot the new kernel the inxi -N shows that no driver has been loaded for the wireless card at all.
Code: Select all
Network:   Card-1 Broadcom BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller BusID: 44:00.0
           Card-2 Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI at port 2000 BusID: 45:00.0

I have tried to load a driver manually with "modprobe wl" then I get the following error message:
Code: Select all
root@rita_hp:/etc/apt# modprobe wl
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:791 kmod_module_insert_module: could not find module by name='wl'
ERROR: could not insert 'wl': Function not implemented
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:925 command_do: Error running install command for wl
ERROR: could not insert 'wl': Operation not permitted

If I boot the old kernel, then wireless works properly and the driver called "wl" is used.

Any idea, how to resolve this?
Last edited by dzsobacsi on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dzsobacsi
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No wifi since the last update

Postby kurotsugi on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm currently using liquorix kernel and it seems that it tends to more stable than debian's kernel. you might want to try it.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Wireless