After installing Linux, sound troubles in dual-boot win7

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andryij

After installing Linux, sound troubles in dual-boot win7

Post by andryij »

Hello guys,
I recently installed Linux/Win7 dual boot on my laptop. I've done partitioning as following
-samsung recovery
-win7 main partition (for system)
-this little windows-neccesary partition
-ntfs partition for shared files (music, documents etc.)
-this ntfs partition "includes" all the linux directories: / /home /swap etc.
, so it should be fine (at least I think so)

Before that, everything worked "smoothly" on w7. I had sound on internal speakers, and after putting in a jack the sound went only to external ones.
In Linux this works even better - OS remembers volume levels for each device, which is nice.

Anyway, to the point - when i want to run some games, i boot w7. Unfortunatelly, I'm albe to produce sound only via internal speakers - pluggin a jack mutes the computer. However, windows still works his audio, because the sound level thingy is bumping up and down (when playing music). I plug out jack - sound from internals. I plug in - no sound at all. I already reformatted and reinstalled both windows, then linux - issue persists. I updated sound drivers, reinstalled them few times, updated bios - same thing.

Actually, SOMETIMES sound is back - I noticed it's after fiddling with sound devices in Linux - I played some movies via HDMI and had to change audio to HDMI -> worked perfectly, then after rebooting to win7 I had sound. Only to the moment i reboot again to linux and back to windows.

Any ideas? Sound worked perfectly before Linux, works now perfetly in Linux but is corrupted in Windows. I've searched a lot thoubleshooters on google, but everything says basically the same - reinstall driver, check if device is enabled.
And please, don't answer the standard one - "Linux doesen't mess with Windows, it's not Linux problem". I'm not familiar with how Linux handles sound there, but my guess is that it makes some "pseudo-hardware" changes, which are unrecognized by Windows. I'm kinda Linux-new, however I'm not some computer-noob either.
Help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trapperjohn

Re: After installing Linux, sound troubles in dual-boot win7

Post by trapperjohn »

Are you doing a hard power off before you switch from OS to OS?

When I run Win7 and I warm reboot into Linux, my network card functions sluggishly. A power down first elimiates the problem.
andryij

Post by andryij »

It helped - after hard reboot it works. Thank you :)
Any idea why is that? Maybe I could write some shell script that imitates behaviour of rebooting computer, and autoexecute it when I reboot from linux?
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

I believe, with my network card at least, that the power-down helped because it powered-down the device, allowing it clear initialization. I'm not sure how to cold reset a pci device from the command but, if the transfer from one OS to another leaves one device in an altered mode, there may be others on the system that are doing the same - ones that we haven't encountered yet. If this is true, then a cold reboot is a pretty good policy when swaping from Win to Mint.

Return to “Sound”