Where is Mate 1.6 Hide/Unhide delay?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eddie3000
Level 3
Level 3

Where is Mate 1.6 Hide/Unhide delay?

Post by eddie3000 »

I have just installed Mate-desktop environment 1.6 on top of my Mint Cinnamon because Cinnamon hangs/freezes a bit too often for my liking. Mint Mate 14 never used to hang at all, (oh why did I change if my previous mint worked fine? :( :oops: ). I am going through my ritual tweaking of the mate-desktop environment to my liking, and I simply cannot find the panel hide/unhide delays adjustments anywhere. Previously that was done in gconf-editor or mateconf-editor under the panel/toplevels tab. Apparently now it's gsettings / dconf-editor that is supposed to do the job. I've ben looking for two days now over the web and in through many many files on my pc and I can't find it anywhere. Can somebody help me adjust this little parameter please? :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eddie3000
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Where is Mate 1.6 Hide/Unhide delay?

Post by eddie3000 »

Does anybody know where the panel hide and unhide delay settings are in mate 1.6? In gconf-editor it was there, where is it now? Please. I can't live without tweaking these two little parameters!
eddie3000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eddie3000 »

Hello?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

You should Install "dconf-tools" and run "dconf-editor" to quickly browse and set options. However I don't know where this option is located in the options tree, if it does exist.
eddie3000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eddie3000 »

Thank you for your reply.
I already have looked in dconf-editor. In other gnome versions, in gconf-editor or mateconf-editor there would be a parameter under panel-toplevels etc.... that adjusted exactly those parameters independently for each panel. It isn't present in dconf-editor.
eddie3000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eddie3000 »

Maybe my problem was so silly or easy that nobody has given me the answer. I have finally figured it out.

Dconf-editor will not allow me to add non-existant entries in the gui, it'll only let me edit the parameters that appear onscreen. It's weird because there is an unhide-delay and hide-delay setting already when I type dconf list-recursive bla bla bla in the terminal, but it does not show up in dconf-editor. Strange. So in order to edit the parameter it has to be done from the terminal. By using dconf you can write new entries or edit exisiting ones. In my case I had to type in:

Code: Select all

dconf write /org/mate/panel/toplevels/top/unhide-delay 400
As simple as that. But it took me quite some time to figure it out. And the parameter now does appear in dconf-editor.

I wonder why this parameter was not visible in dconf-editor from the beginning?

Return to “MATE”