[SOLVED] Mouse lag

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TrawlerJoe

[SOLVED] Mouse lag

Post by TrawlerJoe »

Hello,
I'm running Maya w/ Cinnamon on my work machine. For the most part, I'm impressed by how nice it looks, and how everything just worked right away. I'm having one issue though, which is mouse lag. Often, when I move the mouse there is a noticeable delay before the pointer moves on the screen, like maybe a quarter-second. And when I'm moving the mouse continuously for a short time, there are occasional "stutters" where the pointer briefly pauses then catches up. It was worse with a wireless mouse, but the problem is still present with a wired mouse.

This is a Lenovo W520 Thinkpad with an nVidia Quadro 1000x card, I'm using the open driver with two monitors. The dual monitor support works great, so I'm a bit reluctant to move to the proprietary nVidia driver, which never worked this well for dual monitors.

So, questions:
1) Is it possible this a Cinnamon issue, or is it more likely the video driver or something else?
2) If Cinnamon, would it help to move to LM14 Nadia with the Cinnamon improvements? I don't need the LTS release, as I probably won't have this machine more than another year anyway. I'm not sure if Maya gets updated with all the latest Cinnamon improvements.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Joe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TrawlerJoe

Re: Mouse lag, and Cinnamon updates

Post by TrawlerJoe »

Using the nVidia driver appears to clear up this problem. I installed the proprietary driver, and I'm using disper to easily switch between the laptop display and the dual-monitor desktop.

Other things that didn't help:
- switched to wired mouse. Wired/wireless both were laggy
- ran in gnome classic without effects, mouse lag still a problem, so not Cinnamon
Buhako

Re: [SOLVED] Mouse lag

Post by Buhako »

I'm using the same version of Mint and Cinnamon and I am having the same exact problem, I have the latest nvidia drivers (from nvidia website). Any clu on how cna i solve this?

Return to “Cinnamon”