taskbar on second monitor

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Greggar

taskbar on second monitor

Post by Greggar »

Hello, love LM, using it at work. One question i have is how to get an independent taskbar on my 2nd monitor. In windows you couldn't do this, it had to be mirrored, so i downloaded this http://www.actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/ program, to accomplish this goal. Made life much much easier for multi taskers/lots o programs up n down. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.

v/r,
Gregg
Thubo

Re: taskbar on second monitor

Post by Thubo »

What exactly do you mean by "independent" ?

If you want to have an extra panel (=menu bar in windows), you can simply click on the existing panel and hit "New Panel".
To this panel you can add functionality, like open programs (add the Window list functionality), a second menu button (=Start in windows), a second/third/... date or what ever you like.

To move the new panel to the other monitor you have to right click on the panel, and hit "properties": Here you have to uncheck "expand". Now you can move the panel around to where every you want to have it and check "expand" again to make it cover the whole screen again.
Greggar

Post by Greggar »

That did it, that + add "Windows List" was all i needed, brilliant. I had to pay $30 for that in windows heh
totallycovered

Post by totallycovered »

Hi All,

Just wanted to get confirmation that there is no longer an option to add another panel on Mint 15. I've read the forums and google and watched youtube videos, and it seems that in older versions of Mint one could:

Right-click the panel, choose Add Panel from the menu.

When I right-click my panel, I see no Add Panel option. Upon digging around in the submenus, I still see no Add Panel. I tried to take a screenshot so I could show y'all, but CTRL-Print Screen will not take a snapshot when the right-click menu on my panel is active (nor with plain ol' Print Screen save a snapshot when I've right-clicked on my panel and have the menu showing). So, here are the options I have when right-clicking:

Settings>
Troubleshoot>
Panel Edit Mode (on off) -- tried either way
Add Applets to the Panel

I have two monitors set up. It's working great. I just wanted to add another panel using the method in this post, but it's not working for me in 15.

Also, this is my first post. It could probably have warranted a new thread, but it's so closely related to the existing post, I thought it would be appropriate to keep things together. Let me know if not.

Thanks,

Derek
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

It sounds like you are using cinnamon as your desktop environment. You have never been able to add a panel to your second monitor. It is one of the most requested features on the github page. If you were doing it in Mint 14 you were using a different DE. While I am not real familiar with them, I think most of the other DE's available on Mint actually allow you to do this.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
totallycovered

Post by totallycovered »

Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm using cinnamon, but perhaps I'll try another flavor of DE.
bohica
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED: taskbar on second monitor

Post by bohica »

Hi All, I read many blogs/messages, none worked for me but amongst all / with trial and error (read frustration), I found this...

> right click on an empty area of the existing panel
> select "new panel"
> right click on an empty area of the new panel
> select "properties"
> in properties, DESELECT "expand"
> you can now grab and drag this panel to your second display then (if you want to)...
> right click on an empty area of the new panel
> select "properties"
> in properties, SELECT "expand"

ciao
Steve
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

It's even easier than that in Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon. :mrgreen:
  • Right-click empty area of panel.
  • Select Modify Panel, it expands to show the options.
  • Select Add New Panel. A box appears asking you to click where you want the new panel.
  • Click where you want it. A helpful box will highlight where it'll go when you hover the mouse.
I haven't tested LM18.3 Cinnamon with this yet.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
SeancBKK

Post by SeancBKK »

This is the solution you are looking for

http://www.networknoob.net/2017/01/linu ... y-monitor/

Return to “Beginner Questions”