CUPS printing under LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dld
Level 1
Level 1

CUPS printing under LMDE

Post by dld »

I am doing my third install of LMDE. All going unexpectedly well. However, this install involves a printer, HP J4680. I have put in the required hours and hours of googleing, read, trying, installing and deleting the printer over and over again, etc. All software reports look fine; hp-check now reports no errors; earlier it did find and install packages. All attempts of print test pages, or other things end up with one or the other of these reasons to stop the job.

"/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"
"/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups failed"
"/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcupsfax failed"

I am out of ideas, and would appreciate yours.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jp734

Re: CUPS printing under LMDE

Post by jp734 »

I have installed crunchbang which is based on Debian and for me to get my printer working is to install python-smbc. Now the printer I'm using is shared from a windows pc
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=115652[/url]

The how to has many sections on how to do things...
dld
Level 1
Level 1

Re: CUPS printing under LMDE [Solved]

Post by dld »

Thank you lizabeth. Followed your instructions. Got a real scare after the reboot after loading gnome-system-tools. I was logged in running Xclient script which piled all start up windows on top of each other, and there were no controls to delete them. I eventually got a login screen and selected MATE. Then all was back -- AND the scanner scanned, and the printer printed. I can't explain, but something in the HPLIP-GUI or gnome-system-tools packages made the difference. Thanks again.
Don
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

My Pleasure!

Return to “LMDE Archive”