irritating loss of permissions

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

irritating loss of permissions

Postby billollib on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:30 am

I am running the KDE version of Linux Mint 14. Uname -a returns Linux mybox 3.5.0-34-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 6 20:18:19 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It worked great when installed, but a few days ago, after doing apper- recommended upgrades (there were a zillion of them, so I don't remember which they were), I started getting a bunch of errors. These include:

I no longer can attach to networks or manage connections using the KDE network applet as a user. The error I get is that I have "insufficient privileges." If I do it from the command line using sudo nmcli, I connect fine. I installed the gnome nm-applet and can connect using it *only* if I run it as "sudo nm-applet" but not if I run it with user privileges.

Similarly, Apper no longer works, stating that I do not have sufficient authorization to install software, though sudo apt-get works fine. When I open a new Konsole, I get the following repeated multiple times: "complete: usage: complete [-abcdefgjksuv] [-pr] [-DE] [-o option] [-A action] [-G globpat] [-W wordlist] [-F function] [-C command] [-X filterpat] [-P prefix] [-S suffix] [name ...]" though the prompt eventually comes up fine.

This happened once before, and I threw up my hands and re-installed from scratch -- and it went away for awhile.

Any pointers?
billollib
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: irritating loss of permissions

Postby trapperjohn on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:46 am

Is it possible that your user was set to a "standard" user rather than an "administrative" user at some point? A standard user is not, by default, a sudoer.
trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Other topics