MintUpdate failed to complete

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PussyCat

MintUpdate failed to complete

Post by PussyCat »

Just tried to update my Maya Xfce system. MintUpdate showed nearly 600 packages (about 470Mb) which rather surprised me considering it has been updated twice in the last 6 weeks!

However, decided to proceed and everything seemed to go smoothly until the end when

Code: Select all

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-flashplugin-11_11.2.202.280_amd64.deb: failed in write on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./opt/mint-flashplugin-11/libflashplayer.so': No space left on device
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-x-icons_1.0.8_all.deb: failed in write on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/share/icons/Mint-X/actions/scalable/media-skip-backward.svg': No space left on device
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/python-paramiko_1.7.7.1-2ubuntu1_all.deb: failed in write on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/share/doc/python-paramiko/docs/paramiko.win_pageant-pysrc.html': No space left on device
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-client-core-5.5_5.5.31-0ubuntu0.12.04.2_amd64.deb: failed in write on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/bin/mysql': No space left on device
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server-core-5.5_5.5.31-0ubuntu0.12.04.2_amd64.deb: failed in write on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/sbin/mysqld': No space left on device
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/thunderbird_17.0.7+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1_amd64.deb: failed in write on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/lib/thunderbird/omni.ja': No space left on device
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/virtualbox-guest-x11_4.1.12-dfsg-2ubuntu0.3_amd64.deb: failed in write on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/lib/VBoxOGLpackspu.so': No space left on device
Yes - as can be seen,ran out od disk space! But apparently not too far short of complete.

Managed to clear some disk space but couldn't empty trash (which should have been empty since I always(?) delete completely) because everything was locked - why? Anyway, rebooted in the hope that this might unlock them but it didn't. Managed to delete them following a google search - which pointed me at a Mint thread! Still not sure why they were locked.

Ran MintUpdate again but this time it immediately pops up
W: GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org precise Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 2EBC26B60C5A2783 Medibuntu Packaging Team <admin@lists.medibuntu.org>
Is there a way out of this mess?

Although I still have a functioning system wifi has been lost and compiz is not running and I think a few setting have been lost. There may be other things that have not manifested themselves - yet!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PussyCat

Post by PussyCat »

Update on update...

A further message from mintUpdate
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
so I did as suggested [not sure what to do about second line - report to whom?]

Everything seemed to go OK until I probably gave the incorrect reponse..
Configuration file `/etc/grub.d/10_linux'
==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
N or O : keep your currently-installed version
D : show the differences between the versions
Z : start a shell to examine the situation
The default action is to keep your current version.
*** 10_linux (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? Y
Installing new version of config file /etc/grub.d/10_linux ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/grub.d/00_header ...
Is that disasterous?

Only one error reported right at the end
Errors were encountered while processing:
thunderbird-gnome-support
It also seems that Grub thinks I have Mint 14 Nadia.
If accurate does that mean I no longer have Maya and LTS (which is why I chose it in the first place!)?
PussyCat

Re: MintUpdate failed to complete

Post by PussyCat »

No helpful gurus around for this one?

The situation has been more or less recovered by using Synaptic to install the 2 missing components (thunderbird and virtualbox neither of which I knowingly use).

However, I seemed to have ended up with a mongrel (which will be the subject of further posts) and have had to install fusion-icon and then select compiz - although already checked by default - to get effects and decorations functioning, which then allows screenlets (hitherto launched at startup) to be launched! Not at all satisfactory.

Moral of the story - ensure you have enough available space and perhaps don't use mintUpdate, stick to Synaptic.
Last edited by PussyCat on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

As a matter of interest, what level were your updates?

I have been running satisfactorily
Mint13 LTS and restricted updates to level three. Above level three there is the potential for disaster.
PussyCat

Post by PussyCat »

Up to and including level 3 which seemed to have led to disaster anyway - although mostly probably due to having to kludge recovery from the lack of available space as described above.

The main consequences are

1> Loss of settings (per final paragraph above) and in particular Compiz not launching properly at start-up (Screenlets would if Compiz did). Also Indicator Notes lost all my notes!

2> Because of my mistake in not accepting default (ie existing) settings for Grub, there are now extra entries for Nadia with kernel 3.5 but doesn't work, locking up during boot!

3> MintUpdate still says updates are available (5 = 23Mb) but when launched again immediately pops up
W: GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org precise Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 2EBC26B60C5A2783 Medibuntu Packaging Team <admin@lists.medibuntu.org>
but increases the count to 2 level 1 and 5 level 3 totalling 26Mb.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Thanks for the reply - interesting and very frustrating for you. Hopefully nextime you experience a large update you will be better prepared i.e. image backup and install the updates few at a time. Wish I could suggest something more positive. Good luck with it!
PussyCat

Post by PussyCat »

Thanks. It had been the plan to create an iso of my installation but have yet to master mintConstructor which is under consideration. But although not completely broken it would be pointless to do it now - other than for practice!

It's just annoying because it took a lot of experimentation to get Xfce/Compiz/Gtk/Metacity working and looking as I wanted (and without the need for fusion-icon). Plus. of course, all the added apps.

Goodness knows how Nadia+kernel 3.5 sneeked into the picture. [EDIT Yes I do - it's a residual from trying to install Nadia Cinnamon to sda17 - but grub failed - so nothing to do with this!]

In the meantime, if I could just repair the broken key for medibuntu...

Return to “Software & Applications”