Better Web Experience

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
SC23

Better Web Experience

Post by SC23 »

This may seem harsh, but I say these things as a 15+ year web developer and a newly converted Mint user.

First and foremost.. the main website is in dire need of an update. It looks 2+ years old, is clunky to get around and is barely passable as a professional presence. Almost all the links on the main site home page, once you click them, have no links to return to the main home page and some of which look suspicious at best like the community page.

If Apple has taught us anything.. it is that people "buy" the pretty and the hip.

Look at the home page..
[url]http://www.linuxmint.com/[/url]

now look here..
[url]http://demo.rockettheme.com/joomla/voxel/?presets=preset5[/url] Or any of the themes there.. or at any other quality theme site..

Im not stumping for rocket themes.. I could care less what is used.. only that it doesnt look dated.

As much as possible, the pieces of the web presence need to be integrated and have a common theme. Just because they all have some green does not make this..
http://linuxmint.com/planet/index2.php

this
http://www.linuxmint.com/

and this
http://blog.linuxmint.com/

seem unified. The logins for as many pieces as possible also need unified.

This issue is called branding and image.
I had to do a few Harley dealer sites and the corp office had strict guidelines on everything in order to make sure no one made Harley look bad and no one misused their logos, colors, etc.. the result is a jillion unified presences and a strong corporate image across the board. Each had their "flair" but there was no doubt about either the quality of design or the branding.

I just came from distrowatch and was very surprised (and happy) to see that Mint has the most hits out of all distros..all.. more than RedHat, more than SuSe, even more than the ever popular Ubuntu.. not just for the month but for the last three, six, and 12 months.. just..wow.. imho, the Mint web presence does not reflect this and it should.

I would love to see the overall design and themes reworked and implemented across the board for all properties. I would like to have as many of the properties integrated into the main site as possible. I would require at minimum a link back to the main site and one login to all items. I realize the scope and scale of this. I also realize that there are hard working people probably donating massive amounts of time and energy on each of these properties. My suggestions are not to degrade the hard work I know goes into these things.. I know all too well.. My suggestions are to raise Mint up to the image it deserves and because I really really like using it and I want more people to find it and like it as much as I do.

And theres my 2 cents.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Better Web Experience

Post by tdockery97 »

I completely agree with two of your main points. There should be a link back to the main page from each sub-site, and there should be a unified log-in that applies whether you are on the main page, the forums, or the community site.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
passerby

Post by passerby »

Overall idc about appearances, but I agree. I think the forum in particular looks amateurish.
However you put it, the mint site really doesn't reflect the status of mint or the prowess of its developers and theme designers.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

If the shop front looks good, people will call in!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

SC23 wrote:I say these things as a 15+ year web developer and a newly converted Mint user.
So offer to fix it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

@catweazel - very good suggestion!
SC23

Post by SC23 »

catweazel wrote:
SC23 wrote:I say these things as a 15+ year web developer and a newly converted Mint user.
So offer to fix it.
I semi expected this.. so.. where do I apply?
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Go to Board Index, top right click members, send PM to Clem. His is the first name in the list and is the founder of linux mint.
SC23

Post by SC23 »

Dyfi wrote:Go to Board Index, top right click members, send PM to Clem. His is the first name in the list and is the founder of linux mint.
Kewl deal..

And on a different note...

Maybe its my crappy provider... maybe not.. but sometimes the forums pop, and sometimes they grind.. is this happening to everyone or just me? Sometimes I click a link and it is comes right up, sometimes I click a link and I wait for >20 seconds. Im impatient so I usually click stop, wait a sec, then try again..and sooner or later the link comes up.. like I said..it might just be my crappy connection as I do have Uncle Bubbas Internet for a provider..
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I don't know 'bout that..

Often I only need basic data/info from a web site and if it gets buried under lots of advert links or product placements, I tend to find it more annoying, no matter how stylish it may look
SC23

Post by SC23 »

DrHu wrote:I don't know 'bout that..

Often I only need basic data/info from a web site and if it gets buried under lots of advert links or product placements, I tend to find it more annoying, no matter how stylish it may look
Agreed. Ease of navigation and arrangement of content is always key.. but even more so with a technology concern like Mint.

I think there has to be a balance between form and function and a lot of that is determined by the target market.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

SC23 wrote:Maybe its my crappy provider... maybe not.. but sometimes the forums pop, and sometimes they grind.. is this happening to everyone or just me? Sometimes I click a link and it is comes right up, sometimes I click a link and I wait for >20 seconds. Im impatient so I usually click stop, wait a sec, then try again..and sooner or later the link comes up.. like I said..it might just be my crappy connection as I do have Uncle Bubbas Internet for a provider..
No, it's not your provider, the forums really tend to get slow sometimes. See also this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=138648

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”