Cinnamon 1.8 Xorg and cinnamon 100% cpu

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pierre62

Cinnamon 1.8 Xorg and cinnamon 100% cpu

Post by pierre62 »

I have Xorg and cinnamon reaching 100% CPU and I am not able to understand why.

I installed the proprietary drivers following this (and not forgetting to purge nouveau)[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=82424[/url]

If no windows are opened, it does not happen, but the phenomenon is pretty random, I can run 8 cores simulation on my i7 without a problem while sometime, just opening a 500 lines file with vi will make the Xorg goes 100% and I will get super slow dispay (< 1fps). If I close the terminal and restart I don't have this problem anymore.

Sometimes, closing a terminal with nothing running inside make Xorg go back to ~0% CPU.

I do not experience the problem with software rendered cinnamon
I do not experience the problem with basic gnome

I paid attention to disable all the fancy panel applets.

I tried to get ride of java7 to see if that was the problem, without success.

Here is my .xsession

Code: Select all

/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:pierre being added to access control list
Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
gnome-keyring-daemon: insufficient process capabilities, unsecure memory might get used
gnome-keyring-daemon: insufficient process capabilities, unsecure memory might get used
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/pierre/.cache/keyring-uJQC1g
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/pierre/.cache/keyring-uJQC1g/ssh
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/home/pierre/.cache/keyring-uJQC1g/gpg:0:1
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

** (nemo:3829): WARNING **: Can not get _NET_WORKAREA

** (nemo:3829): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Error registering polkit authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject (polkit-error-quark 0)
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: 'assignment to undeclared variable mountedDirList'
    JS ERROR: !!!   WARNING: file '/home/pierre/.local/share/cinnamon/applets/multicore-sys-monitor@ccadeptic23/DataProviders.js' line 390 exception 0 number 156 
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2800003 (Eclipse )
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2400005 specified for 0x2400003 (paraview).
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x280015a (C/C++ - Ec) 
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x280015a (C/C++ - Ec) 

(gnome-settings-daemon:3530): PackageKit-WARNING **: couldn't parse execption 'GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._pk_5ftransaction_5ferror.Code4: GetDistroUpgrades not supported by backend', please report

(gnome-settings-daemon:3530): updates-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get upgrades: GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._pk_5ftransaction_5ferror.Code4: GetDistroUpgrades not supported by backend
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2400041 (Workspace )
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2400003 (Eclipse )
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2404835 (Build Proj)
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2400114 (C/C++ - st) 
Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2a00005 specified for 0x2a00003 (paraview).

pierre@hydrogen:~$ lspci | grep VGA

Code: Select all

23:02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G98 [Quadro NVS 295] (rev a1)
24:03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0fc6 (rev a1)
I am running out of options, does anyone experienced similar problem ?
Please let me know if you need more information.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pierre62

Re: Cinnamon 1.8 Xorg and cinnamon 100% cpu

Post by pierre62 »

Getting a more powerfull GPU did the job. cinnamon just need more GPU than old gnome 2, or maybe the driver for the older card were not working properly... ?

Return to “LMDE Archive”