Mint 14 32 Bit, Upgrade tp 64 Bit

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsbetterley

Mint 14 32 Bit, Upgrade tp 64 Bit

Post by jsbetterley »

Hi all, I recently downloaded an installed Mint 14 on my old laptop. Upon seeing how great it runs, I decided to abandon Windows and install it on my new PC also.
I didn't consider the fact that my installation was 32 bit for my laptop, and I put the same install on my 64 bit PC.
How do I upgrade my PC to 64 bit?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Macmeister

Re: Mint 14 32 Bit, Upgrade tp 64 Bit

Post by Macmeister »

jsbetterley wrote: How do I upgrade my PC to 64 bit?
You're going to have to download the 64-bit version and reinstall.
jsbetterley

Post by jsbetterley »

Ok, thanks.
Are there versions you can download that don't require you to boot from a CD/USB?
Also, do I need to get a different version if I'm going from Linux to LInux, not from Windows to Linux?
Once again, thanks for all the help.
Macmeister

Post by Macmeister »

jsbetterley wrote:Ok, thanks.
Are there versions you can download that don't require you to boot from a CD/USB?
Also, do I need to get a different version if I'm going from Linux to LInux, not from Windows to Linux?
Once again, thanks for all the help.
Mint overwrites whatever operating system is resident on the computer...just DL the 64-bit version and install. Regarding the install source, I'm unaware of any way to do it except from a USB or disk.
Himsself

Post by Himsself »

Is there a way to upgrade without losing
all the data that are already in the Pc??
OrphenFire

Post by OrphenFire »

You should have partitioned your drives so that your data/files can be moved to a formatted partition in your computer, separate from the drive that you are installing the OS to (Linux). Also, I'm almost certain that the new Linuxmint will allow installation from within the OS, no need for booting into it and installing the old way. You may need Daemontools to open the image of the linux disc, but from there you should be able to install Linux without booting into it. Then simply restart your computer and Linuxmint will complete its installation.

Return to “Installation & Boot”