Please help with sound with mint 15 and 14

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
av8tor

Please help with sound with mint 15 and 14

Post by av8tor »

I have had problems with the sound when hooked up to my TV with HDMI and/or SPDIF. I have tried both with no luck I do however have sound from my computer speakers.This system is built for a HTPC but is useless without sound! I have checked around the forums and this seems to be an on going problem with linux 15 mint and have yet to find an answer. can someone please help me with this. What do I have to do to get this to work?? I want to continue to use Linux but will have no choice to revert back if I can't use it!
I have mint 15 and 14 installed and have problems with both. I have on board audio with no sound card. and I have tried all the solutions in previous threads with no luck

Thanks and await your replies

Sad user :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anandrkris

Re: Please help with sound with mint 15 and 14

Post by anandrkris »

Hi - I am no expert. Please post the specs of your sound card for others to diagnose your issue better. Share the output of the below command from Terminal.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx 
You could also try installing pavucontrol. It has helped me in the past.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=124940 - Check here.

Digression - http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3844 - Plese note that I have posted an idea on having a Troubleshooting wizard in Mint for audio related issues. Request you have a look at it and provide your views and if it makes sense - cast your vote on it. Am rallying the user forums who have sound issues to get consensus on the idea. Let us join our hands together in building a user-friendly Linux Mint.
av8tor

Post by av8tor »

oh sorry.... I have an A10 5800K paired with a AsRock FM2A85x Extreme 4-M./ 8gbs of Gskill 1866 ram/120 ssd with Linux Mint 15 and 14. I have no dedicated sound card and using the on-board audio. I am using or trying to , the HDMI with on-board video. I just built this for a HTPC set up. Do you need Any other info ?

av8tor@HTPC ~ $ inxi -Fx
System: Host: HTPC Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine: Mobo: ASRock model: FM2A85X Extreme4-M Bios: American Megatrends version: P1.50 date: 04/12/2013
CPU: Quad core AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 35137.2
Clock Speeds: 1: 4392.155 MHz 2: 4392.155 MHz 3: 4392.155 MHz 4: 4392.155 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Trinity [Radeon HD 7660D] bus-ID: 00:01.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 9902 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 10 Mbps duplex: half mac: bc:5f:f4:84:26:b8
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2120.4GB (0.4% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB
2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD20EFRX size: 2000.4GB
Partition: ID: / size: 103G used: 7.6G (8%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.02GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 43.5C mobo: 34.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A fan-1: 0 fan-2: 0 fan-3: 0 fan-4: 0 fan-5: 0
Info: Processes: 150 Uptime: 1:14 Memory: 817.7/5936.7MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
av8tor@HTPC ~ $
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

I can see that there are two cards listed under Audio. You can try the below commands in terminal.

aplay -l
would list the devices....

aplay -D plughw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
Modify this "plughw:1,3" with your device id for HDMI from first command.

Below links are of custom search engines that help in searching linux related topics. I find them to be very useful to solve linux related issues. You could search for your problem here for better results.
[url]http://home.windstream.net/joelwest/[/url]
[url]http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0[/url]

An Aside [url]http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3844[/url] - I have posted an idea on having a Troubleshooting wizard in Mint for audio related issues. I feel it will really help new users migrating to Linux world. Request you to have a look at it and provide your views and if it makes sense cast your vote on it. Am rallying the user forums who have sound issues to get consensus on the idea. Let us join our hands together in building a user-friendly Linux Mint. :)
av8tor

Post by av8tor »

How can that be? I don't have any sound cards installed. They must be drivers for sound, not cards.
Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 9902 driver:
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller driver

Maybe thats what the problem is.Can you tell me which one I should delete or disable? Neither one seems to be doing the job...
Is there a genric one i should use that is install with Mint 15?
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Sorry, I am unsure on how to resolve your issue. Did you try installing pavucontrol?
av8tor

Post by av8tor »

Not as yet. I read your link you suggested and that only complcated the matter,as that was for a older card.Where would one download "pavucontrol" from...
This is very fustrating because I can't use the system on which it was built for. (I watched a Blu-Ray movie using computer speakers :cry: )
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

It is available in Software Manager repository.
av8tor

Post by av8tor »

Thanks for your assitance and time, anandrkris...I hope it's not in vain. I will download the program and give it a try when I get home later.
ashi12

Post by ashi12 »

anandrkris you gave several sugesstions it also working for me. And yes if there is a drive and there is also a path.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

ashi12 wrote:anandrkris you gave several sugesstions it also working for me. And yes if there is a drive and there is also a path.
Glad it worked. :D

Return to “Sound”