Maxed out CPU!?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Maxed out CPU!?

Post by solar1951 »

I found this was happening to me on Daryna and I closed down MintUpdate and now its much better.
I removed MintUpdate from autostarted apps and only run manually now occasionally. I dont have dual core so this may not help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

mintUpdate has some memory leaks, though I haven't experienced any CPU issues with it. I would suggest running top in a terminal window next time this happen, to see what causes the usage.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

magnusB,

I dont know whether this is the same problem as with my Celeron processor but running 'top' in a terminal did not show any significant CPU usage but the fan still ran at top speed trying to cool the chip ( my motherboard does not support temperature monitoring) - it still happens very occasionally sometimes with Firefox running videos and the screen greys out - I am running compiz so maybe that also has an effect.
Its not really an issue for me now but thought it may help Cambo105 to try the mintUpdate thing.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It might be the speedstep-centrino module or something not working. Try:

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep power
Or it could be the sensor not working properly, and gives wrong reading and makes the fan start without being needed.
EDIT!
Sorry, I mixed the AMD module with the Intel one, giving you a weird combination of em. It is called speedstep-centrino.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

MagnusB wrote:It might be the speedstep-centrino module or something not working. Try:

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep power
Or it could be the sensor not working properly, and gives wrong reading and makes the fan start without being needed.
EDIT!
Sorry, I mixed the AMD module with the Intel one, giving you a weird combination of em. It is called speedstep-centrino.
Celeron not Centrino - I dont want to be too modern !

bill@Main:~$ lsmod | grep power
cpufreq_powersave 2688 0
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I assume you use Firefox for web browsing. If so websites that use Flash heavily can overload your processor. I don't know why flash does this, but it does. The fix is to install the Flashblock plugin. It stops all flash items on a given web page, and if you want to see an item you simply click on it to enable it. This fix solved my issue 100%.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Don't know if it's connected but my wifes Toshiba laptop with XP frequently just shuts down with all signs of overheating when accessing sites with flash content. She uses the Win Firefox
Fred

Post by Fred »

Cambo105,

I would look in two different, but probably related directions. The first would be the proprietary graphics driver. These tend to be a buggy pain, regardless of the manufacturer. Though I have had better luck with Nvidia over time. You might try an earlier version, or a later version of the driver and see if that helps.

The other problem could be Fire Fox itself. I am becoming more and more dissolutioned with FF. I am afraid they are squandering their hard fought gains of the past year or two. The later version 3 betas seem to be more stable than the 2.0 series, this really shouldn't be.

Unless you are dependent on some particular extensions, I am almost to the point of recommending going to Opera. It appears to be a much better browser. And that hurts me to say. :-)

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

Why not use Opera or FF according to circumstances?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Cambo105,

Just try a few and see which you like best. I think I am using sans serif, but then again I am kinda plain and don't have much "taste."

If memory serves, you have to check a little box to force it to use your fonts instead of the ones specified by the web page. Opera's preferences are laid out completely different from FF. The zoom function on Opera is really nice. Especially if you have old eyes. :-)

Fred

PS: Toggling the fit to page option can help with the display quality on some web pages too.

Return to “Beginner Questions”