Unable to adjust brightness in Sony Vaio - VPCEG3AEN

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rameshiit19

Unable to adjust brightness in Sony Vaio - VPCEG3AEN

Post by rameshiit19 »

I have installed Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) in my Sony Vaio Laptop (Model - VPCEG3AEN) . I am unable to adjust brightness in my laptop with function keys and software as well . I am a newbie to Mint and have searched this forum but couldn't find appropriate fix . How can I resolve it ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Unable to adjust brightness in Sony Vaio - VPCEG3AEN

Post by viking777 »

If there is a laptop somewhere where the brightness function keys work on Linux then I have never owned it, so best forget about that method. For me the brightness in the 'Brightness and Lock' menu works but for others it doesn't. You could try xbacklight from the terminal, that usually works (you might have to install it first).

Code: Select all

xbacklight -dec 40 
to decrease brightness by 40%

xbacklight -inc 40
to increase it by 40%. You can vary the number to suit yourself, the larger the number the bigger the effect.

xbacklight 
on its own will show you the current setting.

To automate that open the keyboard menu item, select custom shortcuts and add keyboard shortcuts as follows:

Name: Brightness Up
Command: xbacklight -inc 40

Name: Brightness Down
Command: xbacklight -dec 40

Choose whatever keyboard shortcuts you want (but not the brightness keys because they don't work) I use Ctl/Shift/+ (well it is = actually because + is upper case) and Ctl/Shift/- .
rameshiit19

Post by rameshiit19 »

viking777 wrote:If there is a laptop somewhere where the brightness function keys work on Linux then I have never owned it, so best forget about that method. For me the brightness in the 'Brightness and Lock' menu works but for others it doesn't. You could try xbacklight from the terminal, that usually works (you might have to install it first).

xbacklight -dec 40 
to decrease brightness by 40%

xbacklight -inc 40
to increase it by 40%. You can vary the number to suit yourself, the larger the number the bigger the effect.

xbacklight 
on its own will show you the current setting.

To automate that open the keyboard menu item, select custom shortcuts and add keyboard shortcuts as follows:

Name: Brightness Up
Command: xbacklight -inc 40

Name: Brightness Down
Command: xbacklight -dec 40

Choose whatever keyboard shortcuts you want (but not the brightness keys because they don't work) I use Ctl/Shift/+ (well it is = actually because + is upper case) and Ctl/Shift/- .
I have tried to adjust screen brightness with the commands mentioned but it's not getting adjusted.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

You did read this bit did you?
you might have to install it first (xbacklight that is)
rameshiit19

Post by rameshiit19 »

viking777 wrote:You did read this bit did you?
you might have to install it first (xbacklight that is)
I am getting message as package xbacklight already installed. But brightness is not getting adjusted.
Dirk2013

Post by Dirk2013 »

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with my Acer Travelmate P643, I can not adjust my back light, neither with the system settings brightness and lock, nor with xbacklight (it is installed)

dirk@Asterix-Linux ~ $ inxi -f -M -R -S -G
System:    Host: Asterix-Linux Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine:   Mobo: Acer model: TravelMate P643-M version: V1.10 Bios: Phoenix version: V1.10 date: 06/27/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3210M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz 3: 1200.00 MHz 4: 2501.00 MHz
           CPU Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts 
           acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts xtopology nonstop_tsc 
           aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt 
           tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept 
           vpid fsgsbase smep erms 
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GT 640M] 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.1hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0.2
there is no change in brightness after any change in backlight:

dirk@Asterix-Linux ~ $ xbacklight
dirk@Asterix-Linux ~ $ xbacklight -dec 30
dirk@Asterix-Linux ~ $ xbacklight -inc 30
dirk@Asterix-Linux ~ $ xbacklight -inc 30
UPDATE:
just found this post:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/997901

works perfectly on my Acer, it was always on lowest brightness
Hello, my screen is always set on maximum brightness and I cannot change it. When I press Fn+Left or Right - I see the indicator, changing brightness, but nothing changes.

WORKAROUND: Open terminal and type:
sudo vi /etc/default/grub

Look for the following line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quite splash“

Press insert key for edit mode add “acpi_osi=” to the list as shown below:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quite splash acpi_osi=”

Press Esc key and :wq to save the file and run the following command to update the grub:
sudo update-grub

Reboot your laptop for screen brightness adjustment to work.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Have anyone tried using the "indicator-brightness" program.
In the Terminal type each command and press Enter.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:indicator-brightness/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indicator-brightness

rameshiit19,
did you try the solution Dirk2013 gave? If it didn't work, then try changing the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to one of the following lines.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quite splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash nomodeset acpi_backlight=vendor” > EDITED: DON'T USE THIS LINE

Then open the Terminal and run the command "sudo update-grub". Reboot and test your keyboard function keys.
Last edited by roblm on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonM

Post by JonM »

For my Sony Vaio VE-1112M1E, the fix with acpi_osi= caused the machine to completely fail on start-up - I had to start in recovery mode, undo it and go back to the previous setting. I've tried a whole range of other fixes now, and nothing seems to work. I guess I'll just have to put up with not being able to adjust the brightness. Shame, because that means I won't now feel able to switch my main computer (also a Sony Vaio) to the otherwise excellent Mint.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

JonM

You could install the proprietary graphics driver for your AMD graphics hardware and try adjusting the brightness through the catalyst control center which is installed with it.
Or you will have to try a newer kernel. If you already are using Mint 15, then try one of these. I have tested them without any problems on my system, but your experience may differ. I don't have a laptop.

v3.8.13.2-raring/
v3.9-rc8-raring/
v3.10-rc5-saucy/

This is usually recommended when no other method works, since it can fix one problem but sometimes break something else, but it can be easily reversed. You can use this link for the newer kernels:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Otherwise you would have to use scripts to set the brightness.

You mentioned a startup problem after adding a command to the grub file. This can happen sometimes but it's easy to fix. Just restart your system and select the correct operating system at the Grub Boot Menu and then press e. Go down to the line that starts with:

linux /boot/vmlinuz.......................ro quiet splash $vt_handoff

Remove the command you added between the word “splash” and “$vt”.
Press Ctrl+x or F10. This change is just temporary and allows you to start your system. Then remove the command in the /etc/default/grub file.
If you have only one operating system installed, then a Grub Boot Menu may not be displayed. Hold down the Shift key while starting, or if this doesn't work, keep tapping the Shift key while starting.

Return to “Hardware Support”