Firefox keeps starting in an odd-sized window?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sebiale

Firefox keeps starting in an odd-sized window?

Post by Sebiale »

For some reason, the first time I start Firefox after booting Linux Mint 14, it's off in the upper-left at a small resolution, and the only way to fox it seems to be to minimize and then restore.
Any ideas what's wrong with it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Firefox keeps starting in an odd-sized window?

Post by xenopeek »

I have a similar problem; when I open a new window, close it, and then restore the closed window from history--it opens in a tiny window with tiny letters and tiny buttons. Haven't figured out what is causing this; I have managed to confirm it is not being caused by any add-ons (well, perhaps installing one of the add-ons might initially trigger this, but disabling all add-ons doesn't fix the problem).

I'd recommend you take a backup of your bookmarks (Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Backup), note any password and other settings you need to keep, note which add-ons you have installed and how you have configured them, and rename your Firefox folder so you start with a clean profile (this way you can always rename it back to recover your current profile). Then follow the same route for the bookmarks, but now select to restore from file and load your backup. To rename the folder, run this command from the terminal:

Code: Select all

mv ~/.mozilla ~/mozzila-OLD
If everything works, you can delete the mozzila-OLD folder from your home folder afterwards.
Aminel

Post by Aminel »

This happens to me in Linux Mint 15 as well, and the above does not solve the issue.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

you could check mozilla crash reports and see if there's a clue there. Put about:crash into the URL and access it. Also check about:support page.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Are you using nvidia with two monitors or a TV?

I had FF start up, "maximized", with a small window - the TV area in "TwinView" - after using the TV output, then disconnecting it; solved by disabling the TV with "nvidia-settings".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Aminel

Post by Aminel »

Flemur wrote:Are you using nvidia with two monitors or a TV?

I had FF start up, "maximized", with a small window - the TV area in "TwinView" - after using the TV output, then disconnecting it; solved by disabling the TV with "nvidia-settings".
I am. I don't know if that's really a solution though, disabling my other monitor every time I want to open Firefox. That said, I tried it both from 'Displays' and nvidia x-server settings and it still happens.
Aminel

Post by Aminel »

I'm having this issue again. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Return to “Beginner Questions”