Half-Life 2 Install through the Steam Linux Client issues

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajamison

Half-Life 2 Install through the Steam Linux Client issues

Post by ajamison »

Hey guys and gals,
I am trying to play HL2 through the steam linux client and have run into some interesting issues.

I can get the Steam Client to install and run fine with no issues, however when i try to install and play HL2 I get the errors shown in the screenshots below. I also included a text file with my glxinfo output as the error suggests I do not have the right capabilities yet glxinfo seems to state the opposite.
Screenshot-Terminal.png
Screenshot-Untitled Window.png
I am running Mint 14 64bit and I have installed every single package with the words SDL or OpenGL i can find that would have any baring to this error and it seems they do not work. I do have the AMD drivers installed and have an AMD Radeon HD 7770.

Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

Andy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gemini89

Re: Half-Life 2 Install through the Steam Linux Client issue

Post by gemini89 »

Did you try any other games on Steam?
Booman

Post by Booman »

Whoa, not cool, your card, drivers and Steam should work!
I have installed Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Red Orchestra, Serious Sam 3 BFE, Portal and Legend of Grimrock.

Of course I have a GeForce card, but they all installed and ran just fine!

The only error I ever got was permissions... thats all
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

gemini89 wrote:Did you try any other games on Steam?
No I did not but next time I am on that machine (in the next few hours) I will try to see if Portal 2 will run. I am not sure why i keep getting that message but it is a bit annoying.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Portal 2? I didn't realize it was already out on Linux...please keep us updated
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

Booman wrote:Portal 2? I didn't realize it was already out on Linux...please keep us updated
I meant Portal sorry just used to saying Portal 2 when talking about Portal.

At any rate it seems this issue is apparent on any Source game (I.E any Valve game) I try to run under Linux
Booman

Post by Booman »

Hmm, did you install the AMD drivers manually?

I read this on the Gentoo forums and not sure if its the same for Mint or not?
By installing manually you've made a mess of your system. It possible that simply removing the driver will restore proper order. Installing the proprietary drivers manually on Gentoo is a *big* no-no, because of how it handles opengl. If you want things to run properly, always install with emerge.
[url=http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-915244-start-0.html]http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-915244-start-0.html[/url]

This could be way off since its Gentoo, but you never know...

Oh, also read this on another forum:
By the way, regardless of whether you are running ubuntu or gentoo or about every other distro actually, unless you have a really good reason, you should never install anything by hand. Just use your distributions package manager, as unlike individual installers, it will make sure that your software and it's dependencies get installed correctly.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.as ... &m=2916965

Anyways, if you installed via package manager, then there is something else wrong... if you installed manually, remove the drivers then try installing with the package manager.
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

Booman wrote:Hmm, did you install the AMD drivers manually?

I read this on the Gentoo forums and not sure if its the same for Mint or not?
By installing manually you've made a mess of your system. It possible that simply removing the driver will restore proper order. Installing the proprietary drivers manually on Gentoo is a *big* no-no, because of how it handles opengl. If you want things to run properly, always install with emerge.
[url=http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-915244-start-0.html]http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-915244-start-0.html[/url]

This could be way off since its Gentoo, but you never know...

Oh, also read this on another forum:
By the way, regardless of whether you are running ubuntu or gentoo or about every other distro actually, unless you have a really good reason, you should never install anything by hand. Just use your distributions package manager, as unlike individual installers, it will make sure that your software and it's dependencies get installed correctly.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.as ... &m=2916965

Anyways, if you installed via package manager, then there is something else wrong... if you installed manually, remove the drivers then try installing with the package manager.
It was via package manager
Booman

Post by Booman »

Dang, I was hoping I was on to something.
Do you have a version for the Catalyst driver that was installed?
Maybe there is a newer version you can install.
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

Booman wrote:Dang, I was hoping I was on to something.
Do you have a version for the Catalyst driver that was installed?
Maybe there is a newer version you can install.
I can check but it is what ever version is current in the Mint 14 Repos

Let me look when I get home on that machine and get back to you
Booman

Post by Booman »

Ah, now we are getting somewhere...
Sometimes the most current version is not in the package manager.
So you can either wait for Mint to update or download it yourself from AMD and use the package manager to install the newest driver.
AMD cards are a little more sensitive when playing games and I only use Nvidia. So I'm not totally sure about what type of file AMD will provide?

I'm sure there are tutorials on how to download and install the newest driver from AMD in Mint.
Just don't do it the Terminal (manual) way.
Hopefully its just a .deb file you can open with the package manager.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Sadly, AMD sees the 7xxx generation as legacy, meaning they won't be offering updated drivers for your card.
I have a feeling all of those Steam games require newer drivers which means your card probably won't ever work.
It might be time to upgrade to a newer generation.
Honestly I recommend an Nvidia GeForce card. The drivers are great (not open source) and run almost any game I throw at it!
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

Booman wrote:Sadly, AMD sees the 7xxx generation as legacy, meaning they won't be offering updated drivers for your card.
I have a feeling all of those Steam games require newer drivers which means your card probably won't ever work.
It might be time to upgrade to a newer generation.
Honestly I recommend an Nvidia GeForce card. The drivers are great (not open source) and run almost any game I throw at it!
They will I have a Radeon HD 7770 not a standard 7xxx series this card is part of the newest generation of AMD cards :) with the 7990 being the newest
Booman

Post by Booman »

You are totally correct! Man I am out-of-the-loop with AMD card :(
Man I feel stupid because I still have a Radeon 9800 pro and 9600...
AMD 7xxx is old
AMD HD 7xxx is new

Anyways, nice card, looked up HD 7770 on newegg.com and its got some nice specs.
Is your a dual-slot?

AMD has a [url=http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-6LINBetaDriver.aspx]13.6 beta for Linux[/url]

The most recent stable is 13.4
When you download it from AMD, they provide a zip compressed file.
when you open it with archive manager you'll find a .run file
I'm not exactly sure how Mint package managers will handle a .run file, but I've run them with Terminal in the past.

Ugh, looks like you have to do a manual install... at your own risk of course.
[url=http://www.yourownlinux.com/2013/05/install-amd-catalyst-134-graphics.html]Catalyst 13.4 in Mint 15[/url]

It might be a better idea to wait for Mint to add 13.4 to the updates or package manager
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

Booman wrote:You are totally correct! Man I am out-of-the-loop with AMD card :(
Man I feel stupid because I still have a Radeon 9800 pro and 9600...
AMD 7xxx is old
AMD HD 7xxx is new

Anyways, nice card, looked up HD 7770 on newegg.com and its got some nice specs.
Is your a dual-slot?

AMD has a [url=http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-6LINBetaDriver.aspx]13.6 beta for Linux[/url]

The most recent stable is 13.4
When you download it from AMD, they provide a zip compressed file.
when you open it with archive manager you'll find a .run file
I'm not exactly sure how Mint package managers will handle a .run file, but I've run them with Terminal in the past.

Ugh, looks like you have to do a manual install... at your own risk of course.
[url=http://www.yourownlinux.com/2013/05/install-amd-catalyst-134-graphics.html]Catalyst 13.4 in Mint 15[/url]

It might be a better idea to wait for Mint to add 13.4 to the updates or package manager
The computer I am using can support up to 3 cards linked together but currently i only have the one, I do not do alot of video editing and to me that card seems just fine for what I use it for which is mostly gaming in Windows, or more recently Linux when I can get a game to run in Linux.

I am trying to make the jump to Linux 90% of the time and the other 10% Windows (been using Linux in some form for quite a while, Mandrake Linux was the first distro :) ) Currently gaming is my biggest road block, I am all for Linux but I will NOT give up my Gaming addiction!
Booman

Post by Booman »

Dang! I've read mixed responses about AMD cards and gaming in Linux.
In my signature is a link to my game tests with my 32-bit Mint and Nvidia card. So far 60+ games work GREAT!
I still use Windows for most newer games, but am finding that a lot of independent companies are releasing native Linux games and most of the rest of em are running in PlayOnLinux almost flawlessly. Not 100%, but enough to convince me that Linux has a future for gaming.
Those large companies like EA, Bethseda, Blizzard, etc won't give Linux much attention, but Valve is only the beginning.

I think it would be a good idea to search on the [url=http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410]steampowered community[/url] website a bit and see if others are having this opengl problem with their AMD cards.
Don't give up, its people like us who are willing to do some extra work and give Linux a chance, then the games will only get better in Linux.
Burrito

Post by Burrito »

[url=http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bucky21659/]A friend[/url] tipped me off about this thread and asked me to say that if you are not using experimental fglrx drivers, then you need to use Synaptic (or your favourite package manager frontend) to purge any driver with the word 'fglrx' in it, and then run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fglrx-experimental-13
Even though this thread is from July, it is a very common problem among Steam for Linux users. No doubt people are Googling around.
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

Booman wrote:Dang! I've read mixed responses about AMD cards and gaming in Linux.
In my signature is a link to my game tests with my 32-bit Mint and Nvidia card. So far 60+ games work GREAT!
I still use Windows for most newer games, but am finding that a lot of independent companies are releasing native Linux games and most of the rest of em are running in PlayOnLinux almost flawlessly. Not 100%, but enough to convince me that Linux has a future for gaming.
Those large companies like EA, Bethseda, Blizzard, etc won't give Linux much attention, but Valve is only the beginning.

I think it would be a good idea to search on the [url=http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410]steampowered community[/url] website a bit and see if others are having this opengl problem with their AMD cards.
Don't give up, its people like us who are willing to do some extra work and give Linux a chance, then the games will only get better in Linux.
I have checked there and there is no real fix for it on there
Burrito wrote:[url=http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bucky21659/]A friend[/url] tipped me off about this thread and asked me to say that if you are not using experimental fglrx drivers, then you need to use Synaptic (or your favourite package manager frontend) to purge any driver with the word 'fglrx' in it, and then run

sudo apt-get update
Even though this thread is from July, it is a very common problem among Steam for Linux users. No doubt people are Googling around.
I am sorry I have been looking for work and was not able to get online as much during the time my last post was up in July and now. I will try the package you mention but if I remember correctly (have not rebooted into Mint in a few weeks) I tried this already but let me see and get back to you.
ajamison

Post by ajamison »

ajamison wrote:
Booman wrote:Dang! I've read mixed responses about AMD cards and gaming in Linux.

I have checked there and there is no real fix for it on there
Burrito wrote:[url=http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bucky21659/]A friend[/url] tipped me off about this thread and asked me to say that if you are not using experimental fglrx drivers, then you need to use Synaptic (or your favourite package manager frontend) to purge any driver with the word 'fglrx' in it, and then run

sudo apt-get update
I am sorry I have been looking for work and was not able to get online as much during the time my last post was up in July and now. I will try the package you mention but if I remember correctly (have not rebooted into Mint in a few weeks) I tried this already but let me see and get back to you.
Wow ok sorry guys been so busy with work i lost track of time.
Update: 9/06/2013
Still no change when trying to install the experimental drives listed above, I am convinced that HL2 just does not want to run on my card. Still thanks for the idea and I will be watching this thread for any other ideas hopefully something works.

Again I apologize for the long delays between responses, when starting a new job its to be expected to get a bit overwhelmed I suppose.
osvifur

Post by osvifur »

ajamison - I have the exact same setup (amd a10-5800k apu with , radeon 7700 using Nadia 64bit) and had the exact same problem. However, the new AMD Catalyst driver version 13.8 Beta actually does work for Portal, Half Life, X3 etc. (version from August 19th).

I installed that driver yesterday and the games funtion perfectly, as indicated above. However, the standard display resolution seems to be worse, and has lost its sharpness, despite still being called 1920*1080, 60Hz, in the Monitor Preferences menu. I will post a separate discussion on that topic if I will not be able to find a solution.

Return to “Gaming”