Linux mint freezes.... help!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux mint freezes.... help!

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

i never use a screensaver. Re: the suspend and hibernate thing - my old thinkpad r51 and celena worked 95% of the time - on my new r61 it goes to black screen and cannot do anything about it. In my case this is a KNOWN issues. Doesn't bother me that much because all else works from what I have tested.

YOU could fall into this category. Just a possibility.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I have this problem on my laptop, I'm unsure what causes it I just don't use the screensaver.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

my macbook pro and my old powerbook I sleep all the time. Unless I need it off.

modern screens you do not need to worry about the screen remaining on. lcd's OK --- this was for the old tube monitors which would burn the image in the screen... I have yet to burn anything on any of my laptops and that is all I have personally, business-wise and my family has too. I have had laptops for 17years or more too! I have shut a number of them on and off, on and off, and never an issue. I also leave a bunch of them on too for a long time and no issues.

on a more positive note: There are some really tech/linux savvy people here and there is a good chance that they will come along and get you working.

be patient, and welcome to Mint!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

1wrongturn wrote:it would be nice to "suspend" my computer when I am not using it instead of shuting it down all the time.
"suspend" and "hibernate" are still relatively random in Linux... unlike Windows where they work properly for a long time... :twisted:

It would be good that the kernel team stabilizes these features. It is time...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Beginner Questions”