Edge tiling on MATE possible?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ReplicateThis
Level 1
Level 1

Edge tiling on MATE possible?

Post by ReplicateThis »

Is there any form of edge tiling (ie areo-snap) available in MATE? To explain, it allows the user to drag a window to the side of their screen and the window will then expand to 50% of the horizontal space. It allows one to easily work on two documents side by side.

A quick search of the MATE section of the forum yielded no results, so if I missed something apologies in advance.

I think Cinnamon has it, but Cinnamon does not play well with my system (CPU constantly @ 30%) and KDE has it but KDE does not always play well with me. Windows 7 has it, but I'd go for KDE before Windows... :lol:

Anyway, if the feature is not available in the desktop would others find something like it be beneficial enough to make a feature request of some sort? I'm rather new here so have no idea how such things work--advice always appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Don't anthropomorphize computers - they hate it." ~Author Unknown
ReplicateThis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Edge tiling on MATE possible?

Post by ReplicateThis »

Well, it seems I need to further experiment with the nuances of the forum's search functionality... I discovered the answer to my question, more or less. It seems that Compiz is required to perform this feat of tiling magic. So I guess I'll have to race Compiz and KWin and see which comes out with less CPU usage...

Apologies for asking an already-asked question. :oops:

In case anyone is interested I found the answer here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=206&t=88650
"Don't anthropomorphize computers - they hate it." ~Author Unknown
RC Da Kookee

Re: Edge tiling on MATE possible?

Post by RC Da Kookee »

Regarding Compiz, I have no difference in CPU usage when it's active compared to when it's off. Neither on my netbook or main laptop.

Return to “MATE”