[Solved] Problem with stock driver for Ricoh MP C2051

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
elfaure

[Solved] Problem with stock driver for Ricoh MP C2051

Post by elfaure »

Just prints garbage and spools the printer paper tray dry. Test print shows a printed page reading "if you can read this then you are using the wrong driver". The stock driver is the correct driver for this multi-printer but doesn't work. Prints fine to our HP Laserjet 4 though.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
elfaure

Re: Problem with stock driver for Ricoh MP C2051

Post by elfaure »

Shameless bump. 25 views and no replies?? Surely someone has interfaced with this MPP and has a solution to get more than machine code garbage as output from the device. Thank God we have an old HP laserjet with an 11x17 tray than Mint can print to raw to tide me over until I resolve this. Since my first post, I also tried two (2) open source print drivers, neither of which worked. Maybe there's some configuration setting on the MPP I need to toggle. I don't think its a permissions issue because I can connect and print, it just prints garbage and says its using the wrong driver. Tried both Ricoh and Gestner drivers.

[Edit] I think I found the solution here

http://www.achanceofbrainshowers.com/blog/tech/2011/9/28/ricoh_aficio_mpc4501_linux/#comment19
elfaure

Re: Problem with stock driver for Ricoh MP C2051

Post by elfaure »

[Solved] After spooling the printer out of paper with my first test print, I didn't use that test button again and was using another test print button (which just tests the print heads) but the output says "If you can read this then you are using the wrong driver". Well, that message is erroneous and always occurs when using this test print button. So the whole time except for initially, I had the correct drivers installed but was lead to believe they weren't the right drivers from this erroneous message.

Initially I had the PS driver installed but our printer does not have the PS option installed. It was the PXL drivers (all of them: Ricoh, Gestner, Open-printing) that worked.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”