New to linux, have a question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hahler2

New to linux, have a question

Post by hahler2 »

Well this is my first linux experience ever. And so far I'm really liking it. I did a lot of research on distrowatch.com before I picked one and installed it and I think I made the right choice. This is a very new user friendly distro, and I love KDE. Looks a lot more professional than gnome I think. Anyway heres my question.

How do you get a my computer icon on your desktop? Through these forums and google I've figured everything else out that I want to do but I can't seem to get that to work. I got my home folder on there and a trash can but still no my computer link. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Great work on the distro guys and I'm really looking forward to Elyssa!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New to linux, have a question

Post by 67GTA »

I can't remember if there is a graphical way to do it. I always right clicked on the desktop and created a launcher. You can choose to make it a "link to location". The name will be

Code: Select all

/
. Then right click on the launcher, select properties, click on the launcher icon, and select the icon you want to use. The "/" symbol stands for "root" or your file system folders. "/" is the equivalent to the C: drive in Windows.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

Hi,

if want you want is a location that shows your mounted partitions in KDE,
you can right click on your desktop, select create new link to location.
for the url enter: system:/media

this is similar to the "My Computer" icon in gnome.

cheers,

Deadguy
Last edited by deadguy on Sat May 03, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

KDE gives you options, not like some other desktop environments whose name starts with 'G'
It's really easy to do in Gnome...

I tried KDE4, and "options" was something I could never find...
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I have always liked KDE better than Gnome, but after using KDE4, I have moved to Gnome. I don't like the direction KDE is heading. I know KDE4 isn't done yet, but until they decide to give me my desktop back, I won't use it anymore. The Plasma idea isn't a bad one, but what were they thinking when they took away the use of the desktop?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Hey nobody mentioned the easiest way in Gnome!
Menu > Control Center > MintDesktop > tick "Computer" :mrgreen:
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Ops I misread :oops:
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I've got KDE 3.5.9 on another partition, but i never use it. I have been trying to make myself get used to Gnome.

Return to “Software & Applications”