Linux mint 15 mate audio preview bug

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fredmint
Level 2
Level 2

Linux mint 15 mate audio preview bug

Post by fredmint »

Hi,

I noticed a bug with audio preview when hoovering a mp3 file.
Music plays with totem audio preview but sometimes never stop even when no hoovering the file.
I must kill the totem audio preview process to stop it plays.

Have you noticed this ?

Linux mint 15 mate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Marcrum

Re: Linux mint 15 mate audio preview bug

Post by Marcrum »

fredmint wrote:Hi,

I noticed a bug with audio preview when hoovering a mp3 file.
Music plays with totem audio preview but sometimes never stop even when no hoovering the file.
I must kill the totem audio preview process to stop it plays.

Have you noticed this ?

Linux mint 15 mate
I have the same problem and haven't found a solution. The audio preview is a great idea. I would love to use it in presentations when I want to play a quick sound byte instantly. But I can't use it with this bug. So I have turned audio preview off for now. I don't think the problems is in Totem. I uninstalled Totem and use VLC. Same thing happens.
fredmint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fredmint »

It seems to be a very old bug.
I found this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/240027

Marcrum, How did you turned audio preview off ?
tohsakayuuki

Post by tohsakayuuki »

You don't have to use terminal or uninstall something from synaptic to turn off the preview.
At first, I was confused with "THIS" preview thing'y in my first time using linux mint. (BTW, this is my 3rd time using linux mint :) )

You just have to fix the preview selection in caja/nautilus/file manager preference tab. I found this "Trick" incidenttally when I want to turn my main folder view to list mode. :D
Hope this answer could help you :)

PS : Actually, I made this account just to answer this question :mrgreen:
fredmint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fredmint »

tohsakayuuki wrote:You don't have to use terminal or uninstall something from synaptic to turn off the preview.
At first, I was confused with "THIS" preview thing'y in my first time using linux mint. (BTW, this is my 3rd time using linux mint :) )

You just have to fix the preview selection in caja/nautilus/file manager preference tab. I found this "Trick" incidenttally when I want to turn my main folder view to list mode. :D
Hope this answer could help you :)

PS : Actually, I made this account just to answer this question :mrgreen:
Thanks for your help, but I switched to cinamon because of other issue with XFCE version, couldn't connect my bluetooth speaker, audio sink issue.
Mate seems to be less user friendly than cinamon.
tohsakayuuki

Post by tohsakayuuki »

fredmint wrote: Thanks for your help, but I switched to cinamon because of other issue with XFCE version, couldn't connect my bluetooth speaker, audio sink issue.
Mate seems to be less user friendly than cinamon.
was your bluetooth connection already detected and turned on when you try to connect it?

BTW, My bluetooth hardware detected when I started to install it in Windows. It seems my bluetooth hardware was turned off automatically by bios when it didn't get used in a long time.

Well, cinnamon is a fork of GTK3 which is the newest desktop environment Ubuntu (LinuxMint base) used while Mate was 1 version behind it :)
I actually get along with mate when in Mint 13 because cinnamon was laggy in my laptop. Everything change now in Mint 15, I became more like cinnamon than Mate :D (thanks to speed improvement in cinnamon) :D
eduengler

Post by eduengler »

solution:

sudo apt-get remove totem
sudo apt-get install vorbis-tools sox mpg123
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-tools
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

eduengler wrote:solution:

sudo apt-get remove totem
sudo apt-get install vorbis-tools sox mpg123
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-tools
Thank you, thank you, thank you ...
This worked like a charm on my Lenovo Ideapad P580 with new installation of Xubuntu 13.10

Didn't have Totem but used the removal command anyway, just in case something was installed in the background that I wasn't aware of. Did a sudo apt-get update after your 3 commands ... a reboot to make sure that everything "stuck" properly, and voila ... everything is now working across the board (all sound & video files) via VLC. I don't know why but for some reason Parole does not want to play the sound files that VLC has no problems with at all. I love Xubuntu, but I have to have Caja for my MP3 previews ... :D

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

Return to “Sound”