KDE 15 RC - lock screen doesn't "lock"

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
t-ray

KDE 15 RC - lock screen doesn't "lock"

Post by t-ray »

I installed the 15 RC over the weekend on my new work laptop. Loving it so far. However, the screensaver / lock screen isn't functioning correctly. When I leave and come back, the lock screen is visible. However, simply moving the mouse (at all), or pressing any key on the keyboard, dismisses the lock screen and goes back to the desktop.

Is there some setting somewhere (I'm completely new to KDE) that I'm missing, or is this a defect?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Scythe

Re: KDE 15 RC - lock screen doesn't "lock"

Post by Scythe »

I just put the KDE RC on today. I am not get the behavior you are describing. Seems to work as designed - i.e., when the screen saver is active and I move the mouse or hit a key, the lock screen password entry comes up.
Stel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stel »

Alt+F2 and type screen locker. "Screen locker settings" will appear in the list as you are typing. Click on it. Check the box next to "require password after" .
waardd

Post by waardd »

I found my answer to this.....
I use mint from USB stick to boot my dell lattitude and didn't get it to lock.

This is what i did to make the buttun in 'menu' work and make a keyboard shortcut:

Open Software manager
Remove all cinnamon-screensaver
Remove all gnome-screensaver
Install all from xscreensaver
Edit the following file (as root): /usr/share/cinnamon/applets/menu@cinnamon.org/applet.js
(search for 'Lock' and edit the entrys as below (the lines with xscreensaver in them))

Code: Select all

//Lock screen
        let button = new SystemButton(this, "gnome-lockscreen", launchers.length + 3);       
        button.actor.connect('enter-event', Lang.bind(this, function() {
                this.selectedAppTitle.set_text(_("Lock screen"));
                this.selectedAppDescription.set_text(_("Lock the screen"));            
            }));
        button.actor.connect('leave-event', Lang.bind(this, function() {
                this.selectedAppTitle.set_text("");
                this.selectedAppDescription.set_text("");
            }));       
        button.actor.connect('clicked', Lang.bind(this, function() {           
            this.menu.close();

let screensaver_settings = new Gio.Settings({ schema: "org.cinnamon.screensaver" });                       
            let screensaver_dialog = Gio.file_new_for_path("/usr/bin/xscreensaver-command");   
            if (screensaver_dialog.query_exists(null)) {
                if (screensaver_settings.get_boolean("ask-for-away-message")) {                                   
                    Util.spawnCommandLine("xscreensaver-command -lock");
                }
                else {
                    Util.spawnCommandLine("xscreensaver-command -lock");
                }
            }
            else {               
                this._screenSaverProxy.LockRemote();
            }                       
        }));

this.leftBox.add_actor(button.actor, { y_align: St.Align.END, y_fill: false });
Go to system settings and view in advanced mode. Go to keyboard and make a new keyboard shortcut (ctrl_alt_x) for the command xscreensaver-command -lock

Reboot the system or restart cinnamon to make it work.

Return to “Software & Applications”