Getting the DVD player to work

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
philross

Getting the DVD player to work

Post by philross »

hi there,
I have installed Linux Mint (latest version) and I am very happy with it - however I cant seem to get the DVD player to play DVD films. When I try movie player and VLC absolutely nothing happens.
Any ideas ? many thanks
Phil Ross
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mgold1

Re: Getting the DVD player to work

Post by mgold1 »

Have you installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras from the Software Center? That package needs to be installed.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I think I have seen this sort of question before. I have installed 3 Mint distros. My dvd drive worked in all. All video formats play. I really don't remember, but maybe there is an option during the O.S. install procedure to allow proprietary drivers and codecs to install, which I did. If someone didn't do this during install then they have to do it later? Is this correct?
minty33

Post by minty33 »

i have possibly the same issue.
IT'S NOT A CODEC ISSUE.
the issue is when you put a dvd in it is not mounted automatically. when it is mounted it does not auto play in any particular program. i am able to manually mount and attempt to play with VLC player but the issue is then it only recognizes the one title screen sequence and never goes to the actual episodes and they are not in list and hitting next just replays title sequence. It is a dvd for a series called "band of brothers".
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

I have the same issue.

No DVD's will play at all.
Running Ubuntu 15.10 now trying Mint Mate 17.3 and no DVD will play.
If I start VIDEOS it doesn't even show anything in the drive.

It will play audio files though.

I have installed Mint Mate on my laptop and putting in the same DVD auto plays and is perfect.

I know my DVD RW is an old one connected via the IDE connection, I'm sure I read somewhere someone changing it to a Sata drive and all worked fine.
A bit weird as I know I've had this working before.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will help us out.

Sorry I know it's bringing up an old post but it's the same issue I have now.

Cheers

Ian

Return to “Beginner Questions”