asus x55c

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

asus x55c

Post by sprintcowboy »

Is anyone running linux mint on a asus x55c?
Or does anyone know if mint will run on asus x55c?
Cinnamon Desktop by the way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: asus x55c

Post by xenopeek »

That laptop is certified to work with Ubuntu 12.04, if Ubuntu 12.04 has been preloaded on the laptop by the manufacturer. Apparently various tweaks are needed to get Ubuntu 12.04 to work properly. Even then, hibernation (suspend to disk) won't work. See the certification here: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201206-11379/

Ubuntu 12.04 is the package base for Linux Mint 13. Searching a bit for Linux users that have this laptop without Ubuntu 12.04 preloaded by the manufacturer, there are various posts with problems though I'm not clear which ones you can expect to run in to if you try a newer version of Linux Mint on it. On the Linux Mint hardware compatibility database, there is only a report for a Asus X55VD: http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/13395
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

Ok Thanks for the input.
Guess I'll pass on this one and keep looking.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

For most laptops you will be faced with having to do various tweaks if you want to get everything working. Things like laptop special functions keys, like increase/decrease backlight keys, or sleep and hibernate, or webcam, and other such things might not work out of the box. Laptops can be a mixed bag in that regard, due to poor support from manufacturers. If you want a laptop guaranteed to work with Linux, here are several options: http://linuxpreloaded.com/
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

xenopeek wrote:Apparently various tweaks are needed to get Ubuntu 12.04 to work properly. Even then, hibernation (suspend to disk) won't work. See the certification here: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201206-11379/
An interesting "certification"...
The system is available in some regions with a special image of Ubuntu pre-installed by the manufacturer. It takes advantage of the hardware features for this system and may include additional software.
Standard images of Ubuntu may not work at all on the system or may not work well
Sounds very vague. Couldn't find any detailed info on that "additional software".
mike321

Post by mike321 »

I know this is a forum about Linux Mint, but I wish to share my experience installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on the ASUS. You can see me full review on Amazon here: [url]http://www.amazon.com/review/R2IMBERYH2FEJB/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00B7K11QE&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=[/url]

I finally installed Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) on the X55C. I am very satisfied with the laptops usability now. It goes out of hibernation relatively quickly and it connects to the internet with no issues. The control pad also works well. However, this was no easy task, since this model is equipped with secure boot UEFI. To install Ubuntu, follow these steps:

1. Shut down. Take battery out. Start. Press <F2>. You're in BIOS.Go to "Security" tab. "Disable" Secure Boot Control. Now go to "Boot" tab. "Disable" Fast Boot. "Enable" Launch CSM. Now appears submenu. "Enable" Launch PXe Oprom. Now you can select in Boot Option Properties "P2 ...DVDROM" to boot first in sequence.

2.Burn yourself a Ubuntu 12.04 (or equivalent) image installation DVD. Boot with this DVD.

3. You now see "Install" Ubuntu prompt. Choose "Install" and follow instructions. At "Installation Type," choose "Something Else." I had to partition the disk myself for this to work. SO you need around (?) 5 MB for "Reserved Bios Area"- the other stuff is your choice- I got this up and running with /root 3 GB, / 20 gb, / home 20 gb, swap 4 gb. Now install

4. When system restarts, you will see a screen saying "no connection to drive." No worries. Boot from start dvd. This time "Try Ubuntu"..Now install Boot Repair. This is a program you install in the "Try Ubuntu" area. Follow online documentation. Shut down.

5. GO into Bios. Select "Ubuntu" as first boot option. For some reason "Atheros Boot Agent" was installed before I used Boot Repair program. You can still use W8 in Grub by selecting "Windows UEFI" option

I hope this helps.
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced link where readers would have to search for your review themselves, with the permalink to your review.

Return to “Open Chat”