Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [10-11-14]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
maxibuntu

Re: Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [13-06-13]

Post by maxibuntu »

GeneC wrote:These breakages are most likely due to gtk upgrades (gnome 3.4 to 3.8..) -- namely libgtk-3-0 and depends
Try changing theme to default 'Adwaita'.
I already tried that. It breaks with any theme, but only when run from XFCE, so this is a different issue.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

hi maxi

That's odd. I had those very same issues in another distro (Solydx) with xfce tracking SID a couple weeks past. Changing theme fixed it for me.
I'll be interested to see if you find a fix..
Good Luck with it.

I held back libgtk-3-0 in my LMDE GnomeShell/Cinnamon install and all is fine.
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

I have apparmor popups every time I login. I started some time ago when I pointed to the Jessie repos. It doesn't seem to affect functionality, its only a little annoying. I found this in /var/log/kern.log:

Code: Select all

kernel: [   21.273590] type=1400 audit(1373741493.515:31): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" parent=2536 profile="/usr/sbin/named" name="/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory" pid=2570 comm="named" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=101 ouid=0
Seems similar to this bug: http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/1117416

Does anyone have a workaround?
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

GeneC wrote:hi maxi

That's odd. I had those very same issues in another distro (Solydx) with xfce tracking SID a couple weeks past. Changing theme fixed it for me.
I'll be interested to see if you find a fix..
Good Luck with it.

I held back libgtk-3-0 in my LMDE GnomeShell/Cinnamon install and all is fine.
I tried to roll back to libgtk-3-0_3.4.2-6_i386.deb libgtk-3-common_3.4.2-6_all.deb but that made no difference and left me with some broken packages. Makes matters worse.

Furthermore when logging in to XFCE network manager tray app also crashes:

kernel: [  149.331125] nm-applet[15519]: segfault at 18 ip b7410150 sp bff3f120 error 4 in libgtk-3.so.0.800.2[b71e3000+512000]
And the xfce-mixer applet does not load either. It seems to be dependant on gstreamer.

This is from my .xsession-errors after logging in to XFCE

Error creating terminal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

(xfce4-panel:9972): GLib-WARNING **: GChildWatchSource: Exit status of a child process was requested but ECHILD was received by waitpid(). Most likely the process is ignoring SIGCHLD, or some other thread is invoking waitpid() with a nonpositive first argument; either behavior can break applications that use g_child_watch_add()/g_spawn_sync() either directly or indirectly.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

I can confirm [url=http://pastebin.com/1DYviBbh]these updates[/url] crash Cinnamon, even with libgtk-3-0 held. It runs fallback mode, after a massive delay (several minutes!).

$ apt-cache policy libgtk-3-0
libgtk-3-0:
  Installed: 3.4.2-6
  Candidate: 3.8.2-3
~/.xsession-errors

libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
libGL error: Try again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose for more details.

(cinnamon:3899): Clutter-CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize Clutter: Unable to find suitable fbconfig for the GLX context: Failed to find any compatible fbconfigs
Window manager error: Unable to initialize Clutter.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

mockturtl wrote:I can confirm [url=http://pastebin.com/1DYviBbh]these updates[/url] crash Cinnamon, even with libgtk-3-0 held. It runs fallback mode, after a massive delay (several minutes!).
False alarm. I forgot there was a kernel upgrade, and hadn't run sgfxi. Dadblammit.

Cinnamon is OK with libgtk-3-0 held.
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

New kernel now automounts external disks in /media/username/disklabel instead of /media/disklabel. Seems to be a udisks2 feature. Quite annoying because it breaks my backup script for backing up to a external drive that need to be run by different users on different computers with different kernel versions and different distros and different udisks versions via sudo. You can circumvent the feature bij creating a /etc/udev/rules.d/99-udisks2.rules file and adding:

ENV{ID_FS_USAGE}=="filesystem", ENV{UDISKS_FILESYSTEM_SHARED}="1"
Then issue:

sudo udevadm control --reload
or just restart the computer.
michelsberg

Post by michelsberg »

maxibuntu wrote:New kernel now automounts external disks in /media/username/disklabel instead of /media/disklabel.
Uuh, thanks for that info! I was not aware of that but it might prove very useful to know...
Seems to be a udisks2 feature. Quite annoying because it breaks my backup script for backing up to a external drive that need to be run by different users on different computers with different kernel versions and different distros and different udisks versions via sudo. You can circumvent the feature bij creating a /etc/udev/rules.d/99-udisks2.rules file and adding:

ENV{ID_FS_USAGE}=="filesystem", ENV{UDISKS_FILESYSTEM_SHARED}="1"
Then issue:

sudo udevadm control --reload
or just restart the computer.
Don't you think it would be more comfortable and probably even more robust to determine the actual mount point within your script?
Like, if you search for a specific disk label:

myLabel=foo      # change that
myPartition=/dev$(ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/"$myLabel" | grep -o '/[^/]*$')
myMountPoint=$(df -P $myPartition | awk '/^\// {print $NF}')
Then, your external drive may be mounted to wherever whoever likes to have it mounted and it should always work.
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

michelsberg wrote:Don't you think it would be more comfortable and probably even more robust to determine the actual mount point within your script?
Like, if you search for a specific disk label:

myLabel=foo      # change that
myMountPoint=$(df -P $myPartition | awk '/^\// {print $NF}')
Then, your external drive may be mounted to wherever whoever likes to have it mounted and it should always work.
Yes that would surely be better. But for now the quick fix will do. Thanx for your code, I will probably use it later.
michelsberg

Post by michelsberg »

maxibuntu wrote:
michelsberg wrote:

Yes that would surely be better. But for now the quick fix will do. Thanx for your code, I will probably use it later.
I feel really unhappy when I create such messy code...
So better change the above line to

myPartition=$(readlink -f /dev/disk/by-label/"$myLabel")
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

maxibuntu wrote:
GeneC wrote:These breakages are most likely due to gtk upgrades (gnome 3.4 to 3.8..) -- namely libgtk-3-0 and depends
I already tried that. It breaks with any theme, but only when run from XFCE, so this is a different issue.
This is indeed a theme issue, more specifically: the Mint themes crash GNOME applications.

When in Xfce, from Xfce Settings > Appearence > Style, if you choose Mint-Z or Mint-X most if not all GNOME apps will crash.

When in GNOME, from Advanced Settings > Theme > GTK+ Theme, if you choose Mint-Z or Mint-X most if not all GNOME apps will crash.

In GNOME you will be unable to fix it from Advanced Settings because it will segfault. From any other desktop you can start gnome-tweak-tool from the terminal and change the theme.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

maxibuntu wrote:
maxibuntu wrote:
This is indeed a theme issue...
[...]
In GNOME you will be unable to fix it from Advanced Settings because it will segfault. From any other desktop you can start gnome-tweak-tool from the terminal and change the theme.
Hi maxibuntu.
I hadn't thought of that... :) (Using Gnome-Tweak-Tool from another desktop. I tried it from XFCE, and yes, it worked.. thanks).

For others who do not have another desktop installed, and can get to a command line.

RUN (to change to 'Adwaita" theme) =

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Adwaita'
To see what theme you are currently running =

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme
NOTE:
Greybird theme also works for me in Gnome-Shell.
rpr-nospam

can't install googleearth package on LMDE x64

Post by rpr-nospam »

Hi!

I see a problem with 64-bit googleearth package offered by http://packages.linuxmint.com repository for Linux Mint Debian Edition x64.

The system uses the following sources (which show it tracks Debian Testing):

$ inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb [arch=amd64,i386] http://ftp.hr.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
           deb [arch=amd64,i386] http://security.debian.org testing/updates main
           deb [arch=amd64,i386] http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport
           deb [arch=amd64,i386] http://debian.mur.at/debian-multimedia/ testing main non-free
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/multisystem.list
           deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/x2go.list
           deb http://packages.x2go.org/debian jessie main

$ dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
i386
The installation of googleearth package is unsuccessful:

$ sudo apt-get install googleearth
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 googleearth : Depends: ia32-libs but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

$ apt-cache showpkg googleearth
Package: googleearth
Versions: 
6.0.2.2074-r0-1mint2 (/var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_debian_import_binary-amd64_Packages) (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
 Description Language: 
                 File: /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_debian_import_binary-amd64_Packages
                  MD5: 614d101ee221d720b1a08db10d0b8a99
After some searching I've found the following thread that has a solution to that issue:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost4994858

The fix is simple: in DEBIAN/control file of the googleearth package remove the 32-bit libraries (ia32-libs*) from the Depends line as they are not needed for multiarch.

-- rpr.
rpr-nospam

Software Sources GUI (software-properties-gtk) won't start

Post by rpr-nospam »

On a LMDE (with Cinnamon) x64 that tracks Debian Testing (jessie) I noticed that Update Manager gives nothing when you do Edit > Software Sources.
The same is in Software Manager and in Synaptic Package Manager when you do Settings > Repositories.

It's actually /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk that can't start:

$ sudo /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/software-properties-gtk", line 38, in <module>
    from softwareproperties.gtk.SoftwarePropertiesGtk import SoftwarePropertiesGtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/SoftwarePropertiesGtk.py", line 39, in <module>
    from DialogCacheOutdated import DialogCacheOutdated
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/DialogCacheOutdated.py", line 27, in <module>
    import aptdaemon.client
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/client.py", line 70, in <module>
    class MemoizedMixIn(MemoizedTransaction, GObject.GObjectMeta):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/module.py", line 316, in __getattr__
    return getattr(self._introspection_module, name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/module.py", line 135, in __getattr__
    self.__name__, name))
AttributeError: 'gi.repository.GObject' object has no attribute 'GObjectMeta'
It seems this is [url=http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=707768]Debian bug 707768[/url] which says the issue is caused by aptdaemon actually.

$ dpkg -l | grep aptdaemon
ii  aptdaemon 0.45-3 all          transaction based package management service
ii  aptdaemon-data 0.45-3 all          data files for clients
ii  python-aptdaemon 0.45-3 all          Python module for the server and client of aptdaemon
ii  python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets 0.45-3 all          Python GTK+ 3 widgets to run an aptdaemon client
Has anyone seen this already?

-- rpr.
Last edited by xenopeek on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged here.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Software Sources GUI (software-properties-gtk) won't sta

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi rpr-nospam,

Have a look [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=140506&p=745341#p745341]here[/url].
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

Today's update of apache broke my icinga (nagios) webpage. It doesn't show the pngs/gifs. See attachement.

EDIT: Fixed with today's (04/08) icinga updates.
Last edited by maxibuntu on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

bluez package cannot updated on a system using systemd. systemctl said the service cannot started since the command on update.rc.d is not available on systemd. it could solved by revert ro sysvinit and run 'sudo dpkg -configure -a' after reboot.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

today i got a warn that upgrade gjs will uninstall cinnamon and nemo.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

kurotsugi wrote:today i got a warn that upgrade gjs will uninstall cinnamon and nemo.
I don't know any details, but [url=http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gjs.html]gjs[/url] just migrated and it looks like Cinnamon is forking it.
kurotsugi

Re: Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [12-08-13]

Post by kurotsugi »

I ended up with uninstall cinnamon and it's related package then use xfce. AFAIK new cinnamon will be less dependent from gnome and mint team is currently work hard for it. the problem is that we never know when it will be released. it could take several weeks or even months. until that time we're forced to hold gjs or uninstall cinnamon for a while.
btw, newer gjs version seems compatible on current cinnamon since debian team already have new cinnamon in their unstable repo. we might only need to change cinnamon and nemo's dependencies to libgjs0c.

Return to “LMDE Archive”