[solved] disk drive for /tmp is not ready

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marietta_greg

[solved] disk drive for /tmp is not ready

Post by marietta_greg »

Hi, I've noticed a new message just after the grub menu that says

"the disk drive for /tmp is not ready yet or not present

continue to wait S to skip or M for manual recovery."

If I simply wait, the system boots to the normal login screen thought with about a 30 second pause. Funny thing is I HAVE no /tmp in my /etc/fstab So I don't know why grub thinks I have a /tmp or how to solve this.

I've done some searching on it, found associations with installs that went bad, but I've had Maya MATE installed for months.

One suggestion was mount -o remount, rw /tmp, but that brought up a message about how to properly use mount. I corrected it to mount -o remount, ext4 rw /tmp got the same message so don't know further what to do. Anyone know why my system is looking for /tmp? Here's my fstab which hasn't changed recently:

UUID=AC7C4EC27C4E86D4 /windows ntfs-3g umask=007 0 0
UUID=c9afb3c7-a9b8-4adc-9a90-4a2ef8c2925d / ext4 defaults 0 1
UUID=077556db-bbbe-4422-976a-018206fea16c swap swap sw 0 0
UUID=d3e216e5-257b-4559-b3a6-2d1d56bcec78 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
//10.0.0.2/shared /mnt/gregbackup cifs username=xxxx,password=xxxxxxxxxxxxx 0 0
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick1027

Re: disk drive for /tmp is not ready

Post by mick1027 »

I just started getting this message too. I am running Mint 14. thanks
ammofreak

Post by ammofreak »

Hi: am having the same problem. Am using Mint 14. Noticed this after upgrade to Mint 14 and have never found a solution. I simply press S and continue in the given options. Everything seems to work. However, every once in a while the bottom panel and my home folder will not appear. I have to log out, set MATE as default again, and everything is fine for awhile. Tried installing again but to no avail....
marietta_greg

Post by marietta_greg »

It started spontaneously for me, as I haven't done a new install recently. I pretty much accept all of the Mintupdate items, and since a reboot is extremely rarely required, I wouldn't have noticed if this began following one of those.

I have not experienced the panel disappearing. Thats gotta be a pretty good scare when you can't get to /home. That's a pain!
marietta_greg

Post by marietta_greg »

Can someone from the MATE team please look at this. I'd really like to solve it.

3.5.0-19-generic (/dev/sda5)'

Thanks,
passerby

Post by passerby »

I can't find the exact thread, but another user was able to avoid this problem by mounting /tmp to RAM.
To do this:
-Open a terminal and run "sudo pluma /etc/fstab" (replace pluma with gedit if you're using Cinnamon)
-In the document that opens, add a new line that reads:

Code: Select all

none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
-Save and close the document
To make sure you did it right, run "sudo mount -a". If no errors pop up, it should be ok.

/tmp will exist whether you add it to fstab or not. It's your temp file directory, and it should always exist.
When the OS has difficulty using your /tmp directory, that error will occur. There are different causes, so the above may or may not help.
I don't think the home folder or bottom panel are related to this issue. I would think the bottom panel problem pertains to its config file not being read, or perhaps having MATE's cache folder not writeable. Another problem that could have multiple causes; I'm afraid you'll get no concise answer from me :P
marietta_greg

Post by marietta_greg »

OK, I did this, and rebooted to try it out....and apparently disaster.

PC boots directly to:

error: no such partition
grub rescue>

Thats it. I have no idea what to do at this promp.

I've logged back into the forums from another PC, thank GOD I have another one.

HELP! :(
passerby

Post by passerby »

Adding that line shouldn't have stopped you from booting.
Either way, boot into a live CD/DVD (whatever you used to install the OS), access the disk, then reverse the changes made.
While you're there, can you also paste the content of your fstab file? (before changing anything back) It sounds like you edited a different entry.
marietta_greg

Post by marietta_greg »

Whew! It was dumb bad luck that my GRUB got hosed at the same time I edited the fstab, but I've restored GRUB _AND_ I've gotten rid of that /tmp annoying message at boot -- thanks very much passerby! :D :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”