How to disable Alt+apostrophe

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crazyproger

How to disable Alt+apostrophe

Post by crazyproger »

Hello!
I'm using cinnamon about two weeks and almost fine except
that I didn't find how to disable <Alt>+apostrophe combination.
When I press this combination window switching tab appeared.
I need this combination in my application as hotkey, but cinnamon catches it.

Can you help me?
I'm using:
Linux Mint Nadia Cinnamon

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to disable Alt+apostrophe

Post by Dngrsone »

Cinnamon Settings/Keyboard/Keyboard settings... don't know where you have that binding under there, but you should be able to find it and remove it from there.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
crazyproger

Post by crazyproger »

I didn't find this binding in Keyboard settings - that's why I'm asking this question in forum.
crazyproger

Post by crazyproger »

Sorry for my mistake - I'm talking about <Alt>+grave combination, think this is more convenient.
Also I found another guy with this problem http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=207#comment-4481
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

AH, that is definitely a horse of a different color.

That is a Gnome 3 default key combination for window switching.

Try this: Change 'Key to flip through windows' in the switcher from disabled to something else.

I pulled that out of an Ubuntu/Unity how-to and I am in the 12.04 OS right now so I can't test it out for you. But what it boils down to is that the alt+` key combination is a default setting, so by changing the combination for flipping through windows to something other than 'disabled' which means (to Gnome 3) default setting, then you should be able to stop the window manager from responding to that key combination.

ref 1
crazyproger

Post by crazyproger »

Sadly, there is no such option in cinnamon key bindings :(
I found this workaround(similar to your) https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/874734/comments/6 , after installing compiz settings manager I didn't find ubuntu unity plugin.
Also I installed gconf-editor but didn't find anything with word 'flip' or 'grave' or 'backtick'.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Well, Unity is an entirely different desktop environment than Cinnamon...

There doesn't seem to be anything in the native Unity Keyboard mapping. :/

Okay, look here. It looks like the binding code is actually <alt>above_tab so if you can use gconf-editor or its equivalent, you might be able to track that binding code down that way.
marianbonczek

Post by marianbonczek »

I haven't found :( that binding code in my gconf-editor. Any other ideas?
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Try /org/gnome/desktop/wm/keybindings in dconf-editor (part of the dconf-tools package).
marcindomanski

Post by marcindomanski »

grizzler wrote:Try /org/gnome/desktop/wm/keybindings in dconf-editor (part of the dconf-tools package).
Hi, I am having the same problem on a fresh Mint 14 Cinamon. I did find that key in dconf, plus the exact key where Alt + ` appears to be assigned (it's the switch-group key with ['<Alt>Abote_Tab'] default setting), but unfortunately disabling it does not seem to have any effect. The key combination still works as before, even after a reboot :(

Has anyone figured out how to change it? I would love to see an answer to that question ...

Many thanks,
Marcin
marcindomanski

Post by marcindomanski »

Ok, found it!

First see this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 43#p655476. It explains why custom shortcuts are not working in Mint 14 Cinamon and there is a workaround for this, a working one!

Now, when you restore "Keyboard" settings under System Tools -> System Settings, then simply go there and go to the Shortcuts tab. Then find "Switch windows of an application" and assign a shortcut. By default there is no key assigned so the default one (Alt + `) is used. But if you assign a different shortcut, which does work, then Alt + ` is no longer used! That allows you to assign that shortcut to anything else. In my case, I used that as an alternative shortcut for Toggle Scale, which can be set under Cinamon Settings -> Keyboard -> Keyboard shortcuts tab.
boekhold

Post by boekhold »

I found a reasonably easy workaround for this:
  • Install dconf-editor
  • Launch dconf-editor
  • Locate /org/gnome/desktop/wm/keybindings
  • Find the definition for switch-group. It should be set to ['<Alt>AboveTab']
  • Change this to ['<Alt>~']
  • Logoff/logon
To be fair, this doesn't allow you to type 'Alt-~' to get the previous behaviour back (maybe ['<Alt>Tilde'] would work?), but it does allow your other applications to receive Alt-` as a keyboard shortcut (for example IntelliJ Idea for the VCS popup window).

Maarten
lexmint

Post by lexmint »

marcindomanski wrote:
grizzler wrote:Try /org/gnome/desktop/wm/keybindings in dconf-editor (part of the dconf-tools package).
Hi, I am having the same problem on a fresh Mint 14 Cinamon. I did find that key in dconf, plus the exact key where Alt + ` appears to be assigned (it's the switch-group key with ['<Alt>Abote_Tab'] default setting), but unfortunately disabling it does not seem to have any effect. The key combination still works as before, even after a reboot :(

Has anyone figured out how to change it? I would love to see an answer to that question ...

Many thanks,
Marcin

Yes, same thing happened to me. This is how I solved it:

Change the switch-group value /org/gnome/desktop/wm/keybindings in dconf-editor AND ALSO change it here:

/org/cinnamon/muffin/keybindings

Then log off / log on, and that's it.

Hope it works for you too :)

Return to “Cinnamon”