[SOLVED] Virtualbox Guest Internet Access not working

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
manuleka

[SOLVED] Virtualbox Guest Internet Access not working

Post by manuleka »

I've just installed VirtualBox 4.1.18 on LinuxMint 13 Cinnamon x64 and installed a Guest Windows 7 Ultimate x64 but the internet connection isn't working on the Guest

The network card is left on default which is NAT... help please
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Virtualbox Guest Internet Access not working

Post by oobetimer »

Did you reboot after the installation?
manuleka

Post by manuleka »

yes... also reboot after installing guest additions
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

If you haven't done so, try setting the network settings to "Bridged Mode", not "NAT". Then, set it to eth0 or eth1, whichever is being used to connect to the Internet.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Topic moved here by moderator.

With 18 months on the forum and over 100 posts you are not a newbie manuleka so please take the trouble to think about where your topics might properly be placed.

Relevant forum rule:
[3] Consider Which Forum Section To Post
Posting to specific sections can make it easier for others to provide assistance and for future searches. For example, if you are having a specific software issue, post to "Software and Applications" section instead of "Newbie Questions".
manuleka

Post by manuleka »

so is newbie to do with New User? or New to LinuxMint in experience?

I have used LinuxMint before then rolled back to Windows... Now i'm back and still with minimal experience hence posting in Newbie section

apologies for that Admins and Mods
manuleka

Post by manuleka »

Ginsu543 wrote:If you haven't done so, try setting the network settings to "Bridged Mode", not "NAT". Then, set it to eth0 or eth1, whichever is being used to connect to the Internet.

thank you so much... that fixed the problem... so i'm wondering why this is so? I remember running virtualbox on Windows and by default i get internet connection on NAT
Ginsu543

Re: [SOLVED] Virtualbox Guest Internet Access not working

Post by Ginsu543 »

I don't know either why NAT doesn't work with the latest VirtualBox. NAT used to work for me, too, but when it didn't work this time, I found that Bridged Mode let me connect to the Internet.
manuleka

Post by manuleka »

Ginsu543 wrote:I don't know either why NAT doesn't work with the latest VirtualBox. NAT used to work for me, too, but when it didn't work this time, I found that Bridged Mode let me connect to the Internet.
it's a version issue i guess... I've just installed the Ubuntu Software Center version on Xubuntu 12.04 which is Virtualbox 4.1.12 and NAT works perfectly fine... although i haven't installed this version on LinuxMint 13 (Which is the default version on Software Center) i think it is a version 4.1.18 (latest) issue
thedarb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thedarb »

I posted this reply the first time a week ago, but it seems it never showed up.

The problem with NAT (at least for me) was that the vm machines weren't getting their DNS assigned from Virtualbox's DHCP service. The clients got IP's and routes, they just never got DNS. I suspect it has something to do with Mint now using the resolvconf package instead of using a standard resolv.conf file in /etc. I haven't taken time to confirm that suspicion.

However, the good news was that NAT works just great if I manually set my clients to use a DNS server of 10.0.2.2, the default IP gateway for the Virtualbox NAT.

Hope this helps.
ill-phil

Post by ill-phil »

Fantastic, that fixed it for me, cheers !
donny662

Post by donny662 »

I just thought I'd add that I had a similar problem. I was able to ping the router on my home network in the guest OS (e.g. ping 192.168.0.1), but I was unable to ping Google. The guest OS (XP x64) was assigned 10.0.2.2 as the gateway server, which I believe is the VirtualBox "gateway."

I tried manually entering 10.0.2.2 as the DNS server in the guest OS, but I had the same issue. Then, I entered the home network router as the DNS server (192.168.0.1) and that allowed me to ping Google and access websites through the web browser.

Host OS: Mint 13 XFCE
VirtualBox version 4.1.12 (from repository)
Guest OS: WinXP x64
Network configuration: NAT
Adpater: Intel 10/100 MT

Return to “LMDE Archive”