..and back to Linux..a long story

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

..and back to Linux..a long story

Postby @theincredibleaf on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi everybody (said in best Dr. Nick Riveria accent)

I've been a Windows user since school days when Windows 3.11 was forced upon us, and have used every version since then even ME (where's the poo smiley) and Vista.

A couple of years back I tried Ubuntu on an old Dell M60 laptop, but it seemed to run slower than Windows 7 on it so I installed the lighter weight Lubuntu and took on the battle of Newbie vs. First time Linux configuration.

I won, but there was a major casualty, my disire to continue using the OS.

Multiple desktop configuration options (even to get the right Fonts to load), a long battle with Windows Wifi driver installation, getting Chrome (not Chromium) to install had me looking at editing repositories.

It seemed to be an upward battle, so although I got everything working, it wasn't exactly how I wanted it and so I went back to Windows.

My journey back to Linux probably started when I was messing around with Citrix Xenserver in a lab environment to learn for a job. I installed an X Windows environment on the box so I could manage it a bit easier from the single machine.

You can read more about it on my silly blog here: http://theincredibleaf.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -dayz.html

Then Windows 8 came out last year and we were forced to use it at work as they are a Microsoft partner and have to use everything M$ produce even if it's shłt...

I had it running on my WOW-tastic Pentium Dual Core work laptop....You have to remeber I was used to a Pentium M Dell M60 so this laptop was blazing fast.

Even with the stupid removal of the start menu, it seemed MS like to release a crap version of Windows for every decent one (yes, that's being kind).

I didn't want to try Ubuntu again, so I looked around on Google for another popular distro and found you guys.

Intstallation was easy...All my hardware was recognised (even my Serial to USB adapter for Cisco config duties) and I'm happy....I'm even using Firefox again and considering a permanent move away from Chrome which has now become as slow as Firefox became after all the fanfare and popularity of around 2004.

So...I'm back...And I think I'll be staying this time.
@theincredibleaf
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ..and back to Linux..a long story

Postby tdockery97 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Welcome back to Linux. I'm sure things have improved immensely since your last bout.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Orbmiser on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Yep welcome and may be bowled over on progress I was.

As a 2 year stint with Ubuntu back in 2006-2008 but left due to lack of mature apps selections for Image editing.
Dec. 2012 was turned off by Ubuntu coming back so like you found Mint and a happy camper.

And now being a photographer finding powerful editing apps like darktable,Rawthrapee,Digikam and now Lightzone 4 released as free.
And have achieved about 90% of computer needs with linux. Tho still dual boot with Win7.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby The-Wizard on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:56 am

welcome to the world of mint and the Mint family forums

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Postby rivenathos on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:20 am

Welcome back to Linux. While the road here is not always smooth, the bumps, twists, and turns make the ride much more interesting.
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Postby jesica on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby Lin Jones on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Welcome back to Linux. I use Windows at work too and that is enough to drive any sane man to Linux.
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.
-- Albert Einstein
Lin Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Introduce yourself