..and back to Linux..a long story

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
@theincredibleaf

..and back to Linux..a long story

Post by @theincredibleaf »

Hi everybody (said in best Dr. Nick Riveria accent)

I've been a Windows user since school days when Windows 3.11 was forced upon us, and have used every version since then even ME (where's the poo smiley) and Vista.

A couple of years back I tried Ubuntu on an old Dell M60 laptop, but it seemed to run slower than Windows 7 on it so I installed the lighter weight Lubuntu and took on the battle of Newbie vs. First time Linux configuration.

I won, but there was a major casualty, my disire to continue using the OS.

Multiple desktop configuration options (even to get the right Fonts to load), a long battle with Windows Wifi driver installation, getting Chrome (not Chromium) to install had me looking at editing repositories.

It seemed to be an upward battle, so although I got everything working, it wasn't exactly how I wanted it and so I went back to Windows.

My journey back to Linux probably started when I was messing around with Citrix Xenserver in a lab environment to learn for a job. I installed an X Windows environment on the box so I could manage it a bit easier from the single machine.

You can read more about it on my silly blog here: http://theincredibleaf.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/oh-my-dayz.html

Then Windows 8 came out last year and we were forced to use it at work as they are a Microsoft partner and have to use everything M$ produce even if it's shłt...

I had it running on my WOW-tastic Pentium Dual Core work laptop....You have to remeber I was used to a Pentium M Dell M60 so this laptop was blazing fast.

Even with the stupid removal of the start menu, it seemed MS like to release a crap version of Windows for every decent one (yes, that's being kind).

I didn't want to try Ubuntu again, so I looked around on Google for another popular distro and found you guys.

Intstallation was easy...All my hardware was recognised (even my Serial to USB adapter for Cisco config duties) and I'm happy....I'm even using Firefox again and considering a permanent move away from Chrome which has now become as slow as Firefox became after all the fanfare and popularity of around 2004.

So...I'm back...And I think I'll be staying this time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: ..and back to Linux..a long story

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome back to Linux. I'm sure things have improved immensely since your last bout.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep welcome and may be bowled over on progress I was.

As a 2 year stint with Ubuntu back in 2006-2008 but left due to lack of mature apps selections for Image editing.
Dec. 2012 was turned off by Ubuntu coming back so like you found Mint and a happy camper.

And now being a photographer finding powerful editing apps like darktable,Rawthrapee,Digikam and now Lightzone 4 released as free.
And have achieved about 90% of computer needs with linux. Tho still dual boot with Win7.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the world of mint and the Mint family forums

wizard
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome back to Linux. While the road here is not always smooth, the bumps, twists, and turns make the ride much more interesting.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
jesica

Post by jesica »

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
Lin Jones

Post by Lin Jones »

Welcome back to Linux. I use Windows at work too and that is enough to drive any sane man to Linux.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”