Five reasons for what I'm leaving Linux Mint

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Andromon

Five reasons for what I'm leaving Linux Mint

Post by Andromon »

Well, against all my will, after a time testing Linux Mint, I hate to tell but I'm thinking of uninstalling it and coming back to Windows.

1. Internet in Linux Mint is a nightmare. With Linux Mint 14 I was unable to connect even with a wired connection, I did have to expect until Mint 15 for being able to do that. Now, it results that I can't connect my PC via wifi neither Mint detects any net, when with Windows I have done it a lot of times.
2. Even with the help of the people, and with the official drivers from Brother web, my Brother printer never worked in my Linux Mint, so I did have to send scans to my laptop running Windows 8, then up them to the cloud. Nice thing I have to use two computers for doing one thing one itself can do, and with the ""awfull" Windows.
3. You need an specific program, and 90% of the times, it will not work in Linux. So, instead of using the same programs and having the same data in all places, I have to use different things in every computer. I can live without Dashlane or Autohotkey (though with this my computing speed was twice), but it results that I have to use Dropbox, 2 GB, and I have to log in there separatedly, instead of Google Drive, 15 GB, everybody uses, and I check it when I check my gmail.
Worst of all, Google Chrome Java does not totally work on Linux Mint, so I have to use Firefox, when I use Chrome because it syncs all my data alongs all the platforms, and why not said, I simply like it more, and I don't understand why I can't use it since it's free. Even worse, I'm investing in actions, and the real good programs are not for Linux and will never be, and yes, you will say, go to some GNU program... But I'm talking of serious money, and a good platform might be the difference between a good operation and a bad one. No solution for this.
4. I bought a good television with HDMI ports for seeing movies and shows through the Internet on it, and I find I cannot have the program I used to really control it, DualMonitorTools, what I'm suppossed to do? Compile it myself if I don't know programation, or wait until it's added to the repositories?
5. The stability of Linux is not as strong as I expected. Many times it has been frozen during the shutting down or even when working, so I had to press the shut down button, what I don't like. And also, the hibernate function is really bad, many times when you enter again to the PC, Internet is not connected anymore.

For the rest, I really like Mint, but if I have to use it with Windows, it can't be used alone for all pourpouses and for average people (I'm not a total noob of computers, what I'm not is a programmer), I think I'd rather use Windows 7 and survive with his problems, learn how to better use it and avoid as much as possible the problems, and I can't agree with that thing of "Linux is ready for the average user" I had survive with it because I believe in free software, but I have knowledge of computers and this is sometimes terrible, my sisters with Linux would have lasted 2 days. Then we get surprised Linux quota has not really increased since 1990's ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Amithiel

Re: Five reasons for what I'm leaving Linux Mint

Post by Amithiel »

i can understand the frustration, i myself went back to windows many times. Sometimes because of gaming. Others because of hardware problems.
The thing you need to decide is: Are you happier with windows? or linux? The linux problems, are they worth coming back to windows?
If you really love linuxmint, like me, you have to fight those problems. If its a printer, buy a new one from HP or something. If its a software, loose sometime learning an alternative software. In the end of the day, you'll be happier.
I have many issues too, but a lot of them happen to be solved on updates.
You just got to make simple math. If you have 10 things to accomplish and 8 of them can't be done properly in linux... well, move along. Wait for new versions, new software or something
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

One thing many if not most Linux newbies don't understand is that Linux runs better on certain PCs than on others. I learned early on that it runs best for me on IBM Thinkpad laptops. I have owned several of these. I now have two IBM laptops, both T61s and Mint runs just about flawlessly on both of them.

I will never go back to Windows because Redmond has never cared for all their customers who made them billions of dollars in revenue. The story goes that when Bill Gates was managing MS on a daily basis in the late 1990s he had Linux, not Windows, on his desktop. Why you ask? He said that the only reason MS kept selling Windows is because it was a money maker! Since he left MS they have been losing money and have been in a downward spiral.

I will reprint here a list of IBM laptops on which Linux will run well from someone who had good luck with these:

IBM THINKPADS WITH GOOD LINUX SUPPORT: T60, T61, X40, T410, X300, T500, R51 and T43p. I've also had an X200, X61s, X60s, 600X, X60, and T60p.
Of those, the only time I've ever had any issues with hardware support at all were with ATI cards when I ran a kernel for which no driver was available. Mainstream distros and stock kernels worked out of the box. I was compiling my own kernel and had trouble getting the closed source driver to play nice.

Here's what you can do to ensure flawless Linux support for your ThinkPad:
1) Get a real ThinkPad (an X220 or a T series).
2) Choose an Intel WiFi card - same starting price as the Realtek "ThinkPad a/b/g/n" option, vastly better hardware.

Whatever decision you make, I hope it is the right one for YOU.
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

So the choices he has are.

1) Live with it
2) Buy another machine.

This doesn't seem very encouraging.

I've been a mint user since Mint 8 and I had a lot of problems at first, wifi cards etc were a nightmare (I remember something about the "b43" packages or something).

I can't think why this user is having so many problems. Maybe you could try another distro on a live disk and see if that works?

I hope this gets sorted out for you and if not, that you'll try again later.
Best.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

You need to work with what works for you. What I love and what works for me may not work for you or others. Do what you need to do to keep happy. :)
GreenLang

Post by GreenLang »

It has to be the harware. what are your specs. use SIW since your already on windows. I been using Linux Mint for ages in internet time a few weeks. And everything works.....on intel based machines. on amd you gotta run around the net collecting these things called drivers.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

5 reasons I'll probably never stop using Linux
1. It does not cost me anything
2. It runs fast
3. Boots and runs on old gear and new gear
4. Configurable to any way I want it, depending on how much I am willing to learn and keep a open mind.
5. Makes me smarter, kinder, and wiser.

Judging by some peoples response to Gnu/Linux, the meanest thing you can do to people on the Internet is to give them really good software for free.
(I'm not a total noob of computers, what I'm not is a programmer
Me Neither. I am just a crude,rude,tattooed GED Linux using Biker. Good luck with the reboots, the waiting,waiting,waiting,waiting. The pop ups.

The Installation was not successful, The operation completed successfully (unknown error) > I have actually seen that on a screen on my Wifes Windows 7 Laptop.
I spend every so often some time repairing acquaintances Windows PCs because my wife brags on what I know.
I boot a live CD. Find the culprits. Remove a couple of files. Just saved my wifes buddy 90 bucks.

Code: Select all

locate

find

whereis

cd

ls

cat

man

grep
are all wonderful tools. Like I said I am not a programmer. But I do like to be skilled when it comes to driving my motorcycles or my computer.

Glad you shared on why you are leaving Mint Linux. Maybe someone will pick up on it and run with fixing the issues you brought up. This is my contribution to the feast on the table. What works for me does not mean it works for you. Hardware vendors, ya know. You will be running Linux any-ways whether you like it or not. Firefox,VLC,lots of freeware in Windows has their roots in open source. Even Windows. If you know your history.

Change is good in some cases, sometimes it is not, sometimes it is inevitable . The Minute I saw Windows 8 in this thread. I figured Oh Well, another one.

Happy Trails, Rok
unfitwellhappy

Post by unfitwellhappy »

rokytnji wrote:

locate

find

whereis

cd

ls

cat

man

grep
are all wonderful tools.
+1 for that. Wonderful AND essential tools :)
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

rbeltz48 wrote:One thing many if not most Linux newbies don't understand is that Linux runs better on certain PCs than on others. I learned early on that it runs best for me on IBM Thinkpad laptops. I have owned several of these. I now have two IBM laptops, both T61s and Mint runs just about flawlessly on both of them.

I will never go back to Windows because Redmond has never cared for all their customers who made them billions of dollars in revenue. The story goes that when Bill Gates was managing MS on a daily basis in the late 1990s he had Linux, not Windows, on his desktop. Why you ask? He said that the only reason MS kept selling Windows is because it was a money maker! Since he left MS they have been losing money and have been in a downward spiral.

I will reprint here a list of IBM laptops on which Linux will run well from someone who had good luck with these:

IBM THINKPADS WITH GOOD LINUX SUPPORT: T60, T61, X40, T410, X300, T500, R51 and T43p. I've also had an X200, X61s, X60s, 600X, X60, and T60p.
Of those, the only time I've ever had any issues with hardware support at all were with ATI cards when I ran a kernel for which no driver was available. Mainstream distros and stock kernels worked out of the box. I was compiling my own kernel and had trouble getting the closed source driver to play nice.

Here's what you can do to ensure flawless Linux support for your ThinkPad:
1) Get a real ThinkPad (an X220 or a T series).
2) Choose an Intel WiFi card - same starting price as the Realtek "ThinkPad a/b/g/n" option, vastly better hardware.

Whatever decision you make, I hope it is the right one for YOU.
This applies to IBM desktops too? Or certain desktop series? I want to buy a second hand PC, not too old, but relatively cheap. It has to be a desktop. It's advisable to go the IBM route too?
Fajah

Post by Fajah »

I'm running both LMDE and Windows 8 on my T-61 laptop (with a second monitor). I started trying/using Linux when MS announced that they're dropping WinXP support. Then when Windows 8 upgrades were being offered for $40, I went for it.

For my day to day computing needs, Linux fits the bill and I find it simple, easy, and fast. However, I need to run Windows on occasion for certain applications that either don't have Linux support, or the Linux equivalent isn't good enough for my purposes. Where Windows 8 is concerned, I've had no problems using it and it's been solid for me. The metro interface is useless but using a utility like "Classic Shell" bypasses all that stuff..... making it look and behave more like Windows 7.

I'm looking at a getting a new computer later on this year. It will be a Windows machine but the question will be whether Linux will be installed on it as well....... since I have no issues using Windows.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

It is always frustrating to not be 100% successful, so I can understand your pain. Sometimes your hardware will impact your Linux experience. This is not as prevalent as it was a few years ago, but there are still some issues here and there. While I am a Linux advocate, I also know that you must choose your own best tool for the job you have. For example, I run Debian on my desktop, I have a Chromebook laptop for travel, and I have an iPhone for mobility. This combo works for me, especially with the Chrome browser synchronizing my Google Drive across platforms. I wish you the best of luck with whatever works best for you.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

I reply to myself. [url=http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/make/Lenovo/]Ubuntu certified Lenovo models.[/url] If aproved for Ubuntu they should be perfect machines to run Linux Mint too.

Let's see what's in the Bay. :mrgreen:
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Andromon wrote:Well, against all my will, after a time testing Linux Mint, I hate to tell but I'm thinking of uninstalling it and coming back to Windows.

1. Internet in Linux Mint is a nightmare. With Linux Mint 14 I was unable to connect even with a wired connection, I did have to expect until Mint 15 for being able to do that. Now, it results that I can't connect my PC via wifi neither Mint detects any net, when with Windows I have done it a lot of times.
2. Even with the help of the people, and with the official drivers from Brother web, my Brother printer never worked in my Linux Mint, so I did have to send scans to my laptop running Windows 8, then up them to the cloud. Nice thing I have to use two computers for doing one thing one itself can do, and with the ""awfull" Windows.
3. You need an specific program, and 90% of the times, it will not work in Linux. So, instead of using the same programs and having the same data in all places, I have to use different things in every computer. I can live without Dashlane or Autohotkey (though with this my computing speed was twice), but it results that I have to use Dropbox, 2 GB, and I have to log in there separatedly, instead of Google Drive, 15 GB, everybody uses, and I check it when I check my gmail.
Worst of all, Google Chrome Java does not totally work on Linux Mint, so I have to use Firefox, when I use Chrome because it syncs all my data alongs all the platforms, and why not said, I simply like it more, and I don't understand why I can't use it since it's free. Even worse, I'm investing in actions, and the real good programs are not for Linux and will never be, and yes, you will say, go to some GNU program... But I'm talking of serious money, and a good platform might be the difference between a good operation and a bad one. No solution for this.
4. I bought a good television with HDMI ports for seeing movies and shows through the Internet on it, and I find I cannot have the program I used to really control it, DualMonitorTools, what I'm suppossed to do? Compile it myself if I don't know programation, or wait until it's added to the repositories?
5. The stability of Linux is not as strong as I expected. Many times it has been frozen during the shutting down or even when working, so I had to press the shut down button, what I don't like. And also, the hibernate function is really bad, many times when you enter again to the PC, Internet is not connected anymore.

For the rest, I really like Mint, but if I have to use it with Windows, it can't be used alone for all pourpouses and for average people (I'm not a total noob of computers, what I'm not is a programmer), I think I'd rather use Windows 7 and survive with his problems, learn how to better use it and avoid as much as possible the problems, and I can't agree with that thing of "Linux is ready for the average user" I had survive with it because I believe in free software, but I have knowledge of computers and this is sometimes terrible, my sisters with Linux would have lasted 2 days. Then we get surprised Linux quota has not really increased since 1990's ?

Le sigh. Sounds like the typical response of someone who comes from Windows and expects things to be better, but the same.

You can't have something be the same, yet itinerantly better. At most they can be equal then. OP was not ready for the Linux jump, but perhaps will be back in years to come.

Enjoy having the NSA on your MS PC :D
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

He's just being honest about his particular situation.

Darn, just as I was typing this, FF 22 on Mint 14 crashed. Sure glad FF keeps an ongoing record of current open pages.

I can understand frustration, I've had them in BOTH windows and linux at times. To me it's like having more than one car, or having a car and a van or truck. Whichever you feel fits the day is what you drive. I was happy enough with W2K, even long after XP came out with activations "we mistrust you", then later with Genuine "we don't trust you even more" added to it. Now we discover it's Windows that can't be trusted in the latest Snowden and NSA revelations. What a hoot! Total hypocrisy from Microsoft.

When has Linux ever required to be activated? When has it come back and said it wanted to be sure, so now we'll call it Genuine Advantage? If your windows system messes up and you reload it a couple times, maybe moving from FAT32 to a NTFS file system for it, even with a legal copy, suddenly the activation then wants you to call in and get a long string of numbers that sounds more like a UUID or GUID being issued. What was that they said? Nothing in all this is personally identifiable about the user? Hmm,....really?! Hello NSA!

Windows is like that company car or the expensive rental you have to turn back in so don't do too much to it, but Linux is like the car in the drive you own, fully paid, and you can tinker under the hood all you want, modify it's look, have some fun doing it. You might create a heap that drives down the road and breaks down at times, but it's yours to tweak however you want even to it's very core. Yes, some will need that new shiny car every 3-4 years so they never have to worry about more than pressing the accelerator, hitting the brake, turning the steering wheel, putting fuel in it, and dropping at the dealer every few months, and they will PAY for that too, and sometimes discover that shiny new car is a lemon.

I loaded Vista to dual boot with XP. It took over the entire boot process from the XP install. GRUB is nothing difficult compared to Vista bootloader. A bit of pain came later on when I dumped Vista to fix the XP boot loader back. I have W7 sitting in a box for 2 years if not longer, never opened, just in case I wanted or needed it. People said it was better than Vista, I even tried it out on laptops a couple of my grown children have when they came to visit. I left my copy in the box. W8 came out. I took an online look at it, nearly puked on seeing and checking it out, and decided then Linux had progressed far enough I was willing to start learning it more.

My main beef with Linux has always been it's love affair with the command line. After suffering years of command line with DOS in the 80's I really got over any love for a command line in anything. I'm glad Linux has come around to using GUI more in recent years. I hope that continues to expand and more command functions that currently exist only in terminal use find a good GUI home too. I think GUI is the main advantage that has driven Windows to be the most accepted OS in today's world, but Linux would take it over like FF has increased against IE for browsers, if Linux continues it's expansion of GUI usage. GUI is just easier and there's nothing wrong with making life easier.

To each his own!
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
kitsuneae

Post by kitsuneae »

Spearmint2 wrote: My main beef with Linux has always been it's love affair with the command line. After suffering years of command line with DOS in the 80's I really got over any love for a command line in anything. I'm glad Linux has come around to using GUI more in recent years. I hope that continues to expand and more command functions that currently exist only in terminal use find a good GUI home too. I think GUI is the main advantage that has driven Windows to be the most accepted OS in today's world, but Linux would take it over like FF has increased against IE for browsers, if Linux continues it's expansion of GUI usage. GUI is just easier and there's nothing wrong with making life easier.

To each his own!
This! THIS!

I learned DOS back in the early 90's. Maybe I got spoiled to Windows and it's GUI, but I can't help but feel that part of elegance means not having to become a wizard with a full "spell book" to use it. Part of why I stayed with Windows was because it didn't make sense to have to live through DOS with new rules (again). I just refused to upgrade from XP and held on as long as possible because, I agree, the extreme hypocrisy plus paranoia and DRM Microsoft has been creeping in made me leery. Snowden further put nails in that coffin for me. It's why I have avoided Google products as well: They're worse than Microsoft when it comes to how they treat your personal data and privacy preferences.

So here I am, switched over to Linux Mint in January (felt like a good way to start the year). Here's my experience with the things OP was talking about.

1. I have no problem with my internet. If anything, my connection seems more stable on Mint than it was on Windows XP. I'm using a router with no problems! With Windows XP I had to reset my modem at least once a month and my IP address was refreshing over and over again.

2. Researching hardware before you upgrade to a different OS is important. The first thing I did was make sure my rig and printer would both work. Yep, they all work! Once set up there's very few hiccups, where Windows would sometimes make me have to try reprinting or cancel jobs because something went wrong along the way. Public printers were more reliable! Setting up was a pain sometimes, but at least it works great once you figure it out.

3. As I have always avoided the very unsafe, heavily tracked Google junkware I have had no problems. NONE. If anything I have found more programs I like by switching to Mint than anything else! I think I have lost only ONE program and it was one that never really worked, not even on Windows XP.

4. One of my good friends runs a Mint box as a personal theater. It hooks up to both his bedroom TV and the projector in his living room. Yes, he checked hardware compatibility before buying it. It's funny how many complaints come from buying without checking first.

5. Ok, this one is an issue. I have KDE and my shut down button is broken. I have to use terminal to shut down my computer. This is KDE-specific, though- I had no problems like that with MATE. I also had to upgrade to Mint 15 after finding out the hard way that Linux Mint and MYSQL don't party together. Trying to get it set up to learn PHP borked my system due to MATE. I'll retry that one later, maybe with a virtual machine.

In short a lot of OPs frustration is their own fault and not everyone will go through it.

Can mint be frustrating? YES, VERY. I have been frustrated to tears quite a few times in the last six months. Some days I want to shout at my computer "Linux, why won't you let me love you?!?" But then I figure out what went wrong, fix it, and I'm happy again. Linux is funny that way.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Well said.

Google got under my skin when they took over Youtube, but they do have the best search engine still. Youtube speed has gone to hell and unless you set your DNS to Google's DNS servers, it's hit and miss on how well and fast the content is delivered. Oddly, the advertisements always seem to do quite well, then the video starts and stops and starts and stops.

Microsoft is paying third parties to put out what I can only describe as a BING virus, but it's actually search engine hijack. You go buy a boat or car you can take the family for a ride. Buy a software package from them and they want everyone to have their own car or boat and go tandem. Maybe they think it's like buying a bicycle? ;) I've seen they now have "family packs" for sale, or did, not sure if that's true still on the latest.

That new W8 system looks like something Homer Simpson would design. Reminds me of the button panels on those vending machines you punch to hopefully get the crappy cup of lukewarm coffee or chocolate. In W2K and XP I always hid the desktop icons and just had them in the quick launch bar, so it looked a lot nicer than W8 with all it's clutter. If it wasn't something I used regular, it could stay in the Start Menu and they've killed that now too.

Isn't it funny the words piracy and privacy looks so similar, yet Microsoft is over concerned about one and not so much about the other, if current news is true. I don't do gaming, so very little else of advantage in Windows for me anymore.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
lexon

Post by lexon »

Linux Mint is still more secure than Windows, even when Windows has a virus checker.
I still use Mint BUT, Mint is not as good as it use to be. Nine was probably the best with hardly any modification needed for a Windows user and Mint is getting a little more problematic starting around with 13 or 14. I have 15 in a new laptop right now. I will not mention any details because The Powers That Be know what the issues are.
Firefox has gotten pretty bad and the Powers have not given users a better Browser.
I refuse to use the stupid female names. That is all Male ego which is much to larger anyway.

L
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Spearmint2 wrote:...yet Microsoft is over concerned about one and not so much about the other...
I'm not so sure Microsoft is terribly concerned about either, to be quite frank.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

MartyMint wrote:
Spearmint2 wrote:...yet Microsoft is over concerned about one and not so much about the other...
I'm not so sure Microsoft is terribly concerned about either, to be quite frank.

You might be right. The Vista pre SP1 update version will do both an update or install a full version. The latter is done if you do the 30 day trial and then when it ends, enter the product key that came with the Upgrade and it suddenly becomes a full version. I don't know if they fixed that or not in the SP1 version.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I will be buying a All-in-One Touchscreen Desktop that runs Android. I have used Android on a seven inch model and I like it.
Mint is very slowly going downhill. Kind of started with 13 I believe. 14 abd 15 No longer sees a SD media card in a reader. Office is a little slower. Firefox is slower. Yahoo email takes about fourteen seconds to respond if I have not been in it for a while. I could go on but no point. Mint 6, 9 and even 11 where quite good.
With 15, no way that I can see to easily add an Icon in the bottom panel to start Office and Gimp. Use to be easy.
With the decline in desktops and laptops, I see Mint and maybe Linux becoming irrelevant in the future.
Linux has served me well since Dec, 2003 but time to move on. Yse, I know, Android is based on Linux.

I will keep Mint as a backup and I have a Vista laptop to backup the Mint.

L

Return to “Open Chat”