Mint 13 System Requirements

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Mint 13 System Requirements

Post by Oscar799 »

Requirements listed here
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2031
System requirements:

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
5 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
CD/DVD drive or USB port
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
artsci2

Re: Mint 13 System Requirements

Post by artsci2 »

I installed Mint 13 Maya on my 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, EeePC 900 (900MHz Celeron).
This makes a good internet machine out of what was a uselessly slow Windows XP paperweight.
Everything "just works" there were no install issues. I installed with a temporarily attached external CD rom.
Changy

Post by Changy »

I installed Mint 13 Maya on a P3 650Mhz with just 512mb RAM and it works just fine. I can now pass this to someone in the family for them to use; word processing, web browsing email etc and they'll be very happy.

I'm trying to install it on another machine with a similar spec but I am having a few issues. I'll need to check what is wrong but I'm hopeful of using it.
Epod

Post by Epod »

@Changy

What version of Linux Mint are you running Desktop Environment wise? Xfce?
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

He probably run XFCE. I think xfce run good on that hardware.
Epod wrote:@Changy

What version of Linux Mint are you running Desktop Environment wise? Xfce?
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

You listed the minimum requirements but is there a set of optimal requirements?

Or perhaps a set of things that users should avoid to prevent usability - such as a particular WiFi card or graphics card?

I noticed that an old graphics card can really drag down system performance.

Any recommendations on the use of SSD drives? Or flash drives? USB 3.0 is hard to find but you can get one reasonably cheap at MicroCenter.

I also noticed that, in my experience, that the cpu power is far more important than the memory. I had tried several distros in the past (AMD 64 4200+ with 3.5GB Ram) and most if not all ran the cpu near or at 100% but the memory wasn't even close to being used to capacity.

Personally I would choose an i7 (at a whopping $1,000 !) with 512MB ram over a P3 650 with 4GB ram.

Currently I have an i5 with 4gb ram but with installation problems I haven't been able to see what is being used.

What a bout dual/triple channel memory? Would that be 2 x 512MB ram @ dual channel? Or 2 x 256MB ram at dual channel?
Will mint benefit from 8GB ram instead of 4GB ram? Or will there be no perceptible difference?

This assumes a normal user and not a video editor or server.

This is a little confusing to me anymore.
Oyabunbaba

Post by Oyabunbaba »

I have problems with 2GB on Mint, and it's not the system taking the ram, because after start-up system show 270MB taken, but when i open Skype, radiotray, and the most important a browser with 10 tabs, am out of ram. So it's impossible to use more than few tabs open on 2GB. The browsers are RAM eaters, not system.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Oyabunbaba wrote:I have problems with 2GB on Mint, and it's not the system taking the ram, because after start-up system show 270MB taken, but when i open Skype, radiotray, and the most important a browser with 10 tabs, am out of ram. So it's impossible to use more than few tabs open on 2GB. The browsers are RAM eaters, not system.
The old PC I run Mint13 on only has 2gig of ram and I have yet to see my ram usage exceed half that. I wonder whats going on?
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
bobbyk

Post by bobbyk »

I run Linux Mint 13 Mate on a 2 gb ram, 1 ghz dual core acer aspire a0722 netbook and have yet to have ram problems. I also boot with Windows installed (work) and it is more robust than Windows 7. I think the ram usage in Linux Mint is in fact better than Windows. I have a lot to learn about Linux but I am trying.
MartinaNeumayer

Post by MartinaNeumayer »

Mint 13 32bit + Mate 1.6 on (ooooold hardware):
ECS K7S5A (with my BIOS mod - recognizing procesors above 2200/xp/mp, ram >1GB) + Athlon 2400xp + 2GB RAM + GF FX 5200 + Audigy 2ZS
No OC.. System works without any problems.
Yeap, this is old machine, but for my "testing/modding stuff" is ok.
MightyManfred

Post by MightyManfred »

I just successfully booted my Gateway netbook LT4004U with Mint 13-KDE. Will now take a look at xfce. Mint found my wireless and audio with no problem :-)
MightyManfred

Post by MightyManfred »

Both version of Mint 13 ran well from the USB - but when I installed along side Win 7 for dual boot, I get no boot option. I've run the Boot-Repair tool and that did not fix this problem. I had previously installed JoliCloud next to Windows and it provided me the boot option.

Any ideas?
MartinaNeumayer

MightyManfred wrote:Both version of Mint 13 ran well from the USB - but when I installed along side Win 7 for dual boot, I get no boot option. I've run the Boot-Repair tool and that did not fix this problem. I had previously installed JoliCloud next to Windows and it provided me the boot option.

Any ideas?
First recover your original mbr, and then use Boot-Repair.
MightyManfred

Post by MightyManfred »

Thanks for your reply. What was happening is that Mint installed itself on an SD card that it saw as an HDD. My netbook won't boot off an SD card :-)

After removing the SD card and installing Mint, it ran fine. When I hibernated Win 7, I now get the following message instead of the boot menu:

error: unknown filesystem
grub rescue >
MartinaNeumayer

MightyManfred wrote:Thanks for your reply. What was happening is that Mint installed itself on an SD card that it saw as an HDD. My netbook won't boot off an SD card :-)

After removing the SD card and installing Mint, it ran fine. When I hibernated Win 7, I now get the following message instead of the boot menu:

error: unknown filesystem
grub rescue >
Read this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1341694
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1530849
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1332576
Here is more:
https://www.google.com/search?client=ub ... 8&oe=utf-8
MightyManfred

Post by MightyManfred »

I got it figured out - now I have two instances of Mint installed and will get rid of one :-)
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

zolar1 wrote: I also noticed that, in my experience, that the cpu power is far more important than the memory. I had tried several distros in the past (AMD 64 4200+ with 3.5GB Ram) and most if not all ran the cpu near or at 100% but the memory wasn't even close to being used to capacity.
yes, but if you use ssd, to avoid wearing and extend the lifespan of the drive you have to run several writing processess (cache, logs, etc.) in memory, so memory is important.

It would be better a balance of memory/cpu, for example an i3 with 4 or 8gb ram.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
lmlm

Post by lmlm »

Oscar799 wrote:Requirements listed here
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2031
System requirements:

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
5 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
CD/DVD drive or USB port
After adding updates, doesn't Mint actually take up 8+ GB?

I previously installed Mint onto a 8gb USB, but then the Update process couldn't be completed because it "ran out of space."

On a separate note, my understanding is that if, instead of traditional installation, a person uses an installer such as UNETbootin, the USB installation is supposedly compressed, similar to a Live CD, so it won't be as large as full-size onto hard drive. Is this correct? If so, what's the minimum size required for Live USB, with some persistence, to get updates and add Chromium and Tor browsers? Thanks.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

For what it's worth, I run Mint 13 KDE edition on a single core Atom n455 netbook! Just 1GB of RAM and minimal everything.

By the way, in benchmarks the n455 processor clocks in *below* a slower clocked Pentium III.

And yet I run KDE quite happily. It's slow to start but runs fine after that. Obviously, I am not using the machine for game play or gut busting video editing but it's used in the white heat of a teaching evniornment where downdown is not an option and there is a deadline every hour!

The key is to turn off graphical effects in KDE. Everyone says that KDE is a monster when it comes to speed. That is only true if you enable all the eye candy. I switch it all off.

So far the Atom is serving me well! So you do not need that much to run 13 successfully. I must say that I started to feelt he load a bit with Mint 15 KDE but I think I hit a memory leak at one point. Having had to install 15 on a Lenonvo recently it appears that the latest updates fix some bugs I think I found.

Still, 13 does what I want right now - and the machine is LOADED with SW. Us teachers need access to everything at all times! I have a fortune in avoiding Windows.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
kimba

Post by kimba »

I run mint 13 on an old p4 with 40g hdd cut into 18g and 21g dualboot w2k, 512 ram. No real problems. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”