No sound at all in Mint 14 Nadia!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bamboorecruit

No sound at all in Mint 14 Nadia!

Post by bamboorecruit »

I just updated from Mint 12 Lisa to Mint 14 Nadia and while I love the way everything is a touch more user-friendly, I'm very upset over not having sound at all. I've read that other people have had problems with this within the last few months, and some solved their problem but mine seems to be different. Mint does not seem to recognize my speakers at all, but it does recognize the mic on my webcam. I've tried installing Gnome ALSA Mixer by suggestion of a Mint user, but that just did not do anything. When I punch in a terminal with aplay -l I'm shown only with "**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****" and nothing below that. I really do not want to downgrade because I do like this update but I am very upset. I mean, what's an OS without sound? :(
Please help.
Kernal 3.5.0-17-generic x32, Mint 14 w/ Cinnamon desktop environment.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobr

Re: No sound at all in Mint 14 Nadia!

Post by bobr »

If you get your problem fixed please post I am having the same problem. I had no problem till I downloaded drivers for my nvidia video card after that I started having my problem with sound. I get sound when i login but after that it stops but like you my mic seems to be working just my speakers are not working.
bobr

Post by bobr »

I uninstalled mint 14 then got rid of the partition and did a clean install again. Sound worked fine for 2 to 3 hours then sound stoped working again. I cant seem to get it back I saw post about alas being off but mine is on when i play youtube videos but still no sound. would love to find a fix. I am new to linux and so far it has crashed 3 times and sound problems twice. I hear everyone saying how good linux is but cant come on board with that idear, fixes seem to be slow and hard to get answers for but, any help would be appreciated.
Tit

Post by Tit »

Well, I had sound problems myself, but I'm a complete newbie. Since you said that ANY help would be appreciated I am posting my fixes.

1. Install and activate pulseaudio (from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio)
nstallation

Warning /!\ This section only applies to old, unsupported versions of Ubuntu. Ubuntu 8.04 and higher installs PulseAudio by default and no extra configuration is needed.

Here's how to install it, as of Dec-08-2007, on Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10, with PulseAudio 0.9.6

Installing PulseAudio
Open a Terminal window.
Type the following:
sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins "pulseaudio-*" paman paprefs pavucontrol pavumeter

ALSA Configuration
Now, type the following:
gksudo gedit /etc/asound.conf
This will open /etc/asound.conf in a Text Editor as the root user.

Normally on Ubuntu 7.10, this file will not exist, so we're creating it.
Paste in the following:

pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

The top two will create new output and input definitions for PulseAudio, and the bottom two will set PulseAudio as the default audio device for programs using the ALSA interface.

2. Tweak pulseaudio (from http://pc-freak.net/blog/how-to-fix-pul ... gnu-linux/)
Fix problems with Glitches, voice skips and crackling In file /etc/pulse/default.pa its necessery to substitute the line;

load-module module-udev-detect

with

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

2. Resolve Choppy sound in (Pulseaudio) -> Skype

In /etc/pulse/daemon.conf two lines has to be also substituted:

; default-sample-rate = 44100

Should become;

default-sample-rate = 48000

3. Change /etc/default/pulseaudio to allow dynamic module loading

It is a good idea to the default settings from DISALLOW_MODULE_LOADING=1 to DISALLOW_MODULE_LOADING=0 .This step is not required and I'm not sure if it has some influence on solving sound in / out problems with Skype but I believe it can be helpful in some cases..

So in /etc/default/pulseaudio Substitute:

DISALLOW_MODULE_LOADING=1

to;

DISALLOW_MODULE_LOADING=0

Restart computer

3. Install missing python libraries(?)
Install these

python-tksnack
python-txosc
libsnack2-alsa
python-liblo
libasound2-python
python-pyalsa
python-alsaaudio

That pretty much worked for me, see if any of this helps...
jamathis

Post by jamathis »

Installing the gnome-alsamixer package fixed it for me.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Hi Guys,

http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3844 - Just to share with you all that I have posted an idea on having a Troubleshooting / Diagnostics wizard in Mint for audio related issues. Request you have a look at idea and provide your views and if it makes sense - cast your vote on it. :) Thanks.

Am rallying the user forums who have sound issues to get consensus on the idea. Let us join our hands together in building a user-friendly Linux Mint. Need your support.
jmt95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmt95 »

I'm running same LM 14 Nadia Cinnamon, same problem! Intalled Pulse Audion Control from Software Manager. Problem solved!

:D

Regards,
JM

Return to “Sound”