[Solved] Natural scrolling?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Q-collective

[Solved] Natural scrolling?

Post by Q-collective »

Hey all,

How do I enable natural scrolling in Cinnamon? I tried this howto, but that didn't work as there is not package called "naturalscrolling" in that ppa. So I thought to open up this thread.
Last edited by Q-collective on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Natural scrolling?

Post by xenopeek »

Which release of Linux Mint are you on? The package details of the PPA are here: https://launchpad.net/~zedtux/+archive/ ... /+packages. As you can see, Linux Mint 14--with Ubuntu Quantal as package base--doesn't yet have a stable package. You could install naturalscrolling-testing instead, or at least I guess that is the unstable version.
Q-collective

Post by Q-collective »

xenopeek wrote:Which release of Linux Mint are you on?
The package details of the PPA are here: https://launchpad.net/~zedtux/+archive/ ... /+packages. As you can see, Linux Mint 14--with Ubuntu Quantal as package base--doesn't yet have a stable package. You could install naturalscrolling-testing instead, or at least I guess that is the unstable version.
Thank you, that did the trick of installing it :)

But how do I enable it now? I kinda expected that the mouse settings would have an option now to enable natural scrolling.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It should be in your Accessories category of the menu, as "Natural Scrolling". Or you can just do Alt+F2 and type naturalscrolling, followed by enter to start it. From the screenshots in the article, you need to start it and it should be an icon on your panel. From there you can set it to automatically start in the future.
Q-collective

Post by Q-collective »

xenopeek wrote:It should be in your Accessories category of the menu, as "Natural Scrolling". Or you can just do Alt+F2 and type naturalscrolling, followed by enter to start it. From the screenshots in the article, you need to start it and it should be an icon on your panel. From there you can set it to automatically start in the future.
Thanks, that did it :)

Why is it not just an option though in the mouse settings? I'm coming from KDE (Gentoo) and there it's a simple switch.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [Solved] Natural scrolling?

Post by xenopeek »

IDK; didn't write the program. You're the one that found it :wink:
Q-collective

Post by Q-collective »

xenopeek wrote:IDK; didn't write the program. You're the one that found it :wink:
No, I'm not talking about the third party program, but about the mouse settings that come by default with Cinnamon ;)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps an idea to submit to the developers :) Ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues.

KDE is of course the ultimate for tweaks like that. Cinnamon is maturing rapidly, though still using parts from GNOME--like the mouse settings (and the GNOME project has past releases been more fond of removing functionality than to keep it).
KremiX
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED? NO!

Post by KremiX »

in nemo natural scrolling is NOT working (program) . Secondly: what if I am on Archlinux and using Cinnamon and nemo? Please just add an option to enable natural scrolling in cinnamon control center.
Q-collective

Re: SOLVED? NO!

Post by Q-collective »

KremiX wrote:in nemo natural scrolling is NOT working (program) . Secondly: what if I am on Archlinux and using Cinnamon and nemo? Please just add an option to enable natural scrolling in cinnamon control center.
This is correct. Cinnamon seems to have his own scrolling settings that overrule naturalscrolling... I agree it should just be an option in the Cinnamon settings.
bronson

Post by bronson »

I enabled natural scrolling by creating a new entry in Startup Programs ince I'd hate to have a useless icon in the panel all the time. (used [url]http://agoraphobiae.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/inverted-scrolling-and-two-finger-scrolling-in-linux-mint-14/[/url]) to figure out the command, then created a new entry with Command: xinput set-button-map 9 1 2 3 5 4 7 6).

It mostly works perfect. Unfortunately, yes, some Mint applications don't get it. The System Settings window scrolls correctly, the Background Settings window scrolls incorrectly. Software Manager scrolls correctly, Nemo scrolls incorrectly. It's weird!

Since I use a trackpad, natural scrolling really feels right. I'm really looking forward to when Mint adds proper support for this.
J_stin

Post by J_stin »

This worked for me and I prefer making a simple edit to a file rather than installing something.
https://askubuntu.com/a/929178/638128

In the file

Code: Select all

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
in the section that has

Identifier "libinput pointer catchall"
make sure you have this line:

Option "NaturalScrolling" "on"
So the whole section looks something like