Sleep + Hibernate Issues in 64-bit Linux Mint 13 Maya MATE

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sleep + Hibernate Issues in 64-bit Linux Mint 13 Maya MATE

Postby Orion751 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:58 am

After exhaustive testing using various online guides to the best of my ability (like http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document ... ugging.txt and http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Suspend_to_RAM), various boot parameters and installing and using the hibernate command ("sudo apt-get hibernate", probably a stupid move as I can't recall it suggested), I've been unable to get suspend or hibernate working on my machine.

The main things that happen are as follows:

When I attempt to suspend (via MATE's GUI anord "pm-suspend" in the commandline), the PC appears to shut off but the monitor still has backlight while the light on the tower's power button is still on. Pressing the power button, the keyboard and mouse all have no effect. I am forced into a hard-reset holding down the power button. Although I read many others reporting this, I've yet to have any success using advice in the threads they were discussed in.

Hibernate (via "pm-hibernate" in the Terminal, don't see the point of setting it up in MATE until this is resolved) is the same, but when I turn the machine on it is usually able to restore my session.

Based on my experience with the guide in http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document ... ugging.txt, suspend fails at the "platform" test, while hibernate fails at the "devices" test unless I use CTRL+ALT+F1 to change to another virtual terminal and use "sudo service mdm stop && rmmod nvidia" to stop the GUI session and unload the nvidia driver. After that, hibernate passes the "core" test as described in the guide linked in this paragraph.

Is there anything I can do to get these features working? I'll happily repeat any of this work and gather any output requested. Thanks in advanced.

Code: Select all
System:    Host: gateway-mint Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Console: tty 0 Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: Gateway product: N/A
           Mobo: C51PVGM-GB model: C51PVGM-GB Bios: Phoenix version: 6.00 PG date: 08/09/2006
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 4018.52
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1000.00 MHz 2: 1000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] bus-ID: 00:05.0
           X.org: 1.11.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: nouveau,vesa,fbdev) tty size: 179x25 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
Audio:     Card: NVIDIA MCP51 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:10.1 Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR5212/AR5213 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath5k bus-ID: 04:06.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: NVIDIA MCP51 Ethernet Controller driver: forcedeth port: c800 bus-ID: 00:14.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (4.2% used) 1: /dev/sdb WDC_WD1600BB 160.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 32G used: 6.2G (21%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.49GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 108 Uptime: 1:36 Memory: 142.5/869.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33

EDIT: It's my understanding that there's a feature called PM_TRACE that can diagnose this problem, but it's only available to a 32-bit kernel (as the subject states, I'm on a 64-bit install). I'd rather not make a mess as my father depends on this machine.

Last bumped by Orion751 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:58 am.
Orion751
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support