USB webcam periodically loosing connection (LM12 KDE)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CoryV

USB webcam periodically loosing connection (LM12 KDE)

Post by CoryV »

Hi all,

Something weird happens to my webcam: when I plug it in to my laptop (Dell Latitude D830), it is correctly identified (dmesg, "Logitech QuickCam Pro 3000" and "Philips driver") and assigned a device. I can use Cheese to show video and take pictures - for a few minutes only, though.

After a short while connection is lost (dmesg for a varying number of times says "device unplugged" and trying to reconnect with increasing USB device numbers but "unable to enumerate"). Unplug and replug goes thru the same cycle, but in decreasing periods: starting from a few minutes to 0 seconds. When I keep it unplugged for a minute or so, it will work for another 20 seconds and disconnect again - most of the times not even long enough to start Cheese again...?!

The cam work fine for hours under Windows (AAMOF, I'm typing this at my Windows box with the cam connected and pointed at my keyboard while keeping an eye on the picture as to detect any hickups) - anybody any idea what's happening? Could it be the circuitry running hot and Linux being less tolerant to "hicks" at the USB bus?

Since I'm not that much knowledgeable in the Linux and device connectivity area, pls forgive my stupidity... and since this is about a quite ancient cam, feel free to tell me to get a new one ;)

BR,
Cory
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CoryV

USB webcam periodically loosing connection (LM12 KDE) [SOLVE

Post by CoryV »

Cold case, still same situation; likely cause = dated webcam running hot (sensed by touching it, feels uncomfortable if I were a cam).
Marked [SOLVED] as to not leave open for prolonged time.

Return to “Sound”