Hardy Heron

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SpudGun

Hardy Heron

Post by SpudGun »

Just tested hardy heron and not very impressed, runs very heavy, like it need a very big cpu to push it along, compiz will only work with the default settings, try turning on the cube and compiz shuts down, cant find a fix for that yet. the only good thing i found was firefox 3, that runs great. this distro is definitely not finished yet, it should still be a beta, but i think it will be ok when the mint team have finished with it. :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Hardy Heron

Post by Husse »

Well well most people seem to have huge problems with FF 3
Topic moved to the chat section
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

Husse wrote:Well well most people seem to have huge problems with FF 3
Whats FF3? :oops:
SpudGun

Post by SpudGun »

CaptainStrangePork wrote:
Husse wrote:Well well most people seem to have huge problems with FF 3
Whats FF3? :oops:
Its OK, i just worked it out, too much beer last night. :mrgreen:
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Okay, it might seem for some folks that Hardy Heron is not finished yet. Why do you think that they will release a "Service Pack 1" on the 3rd of July? Yes, there will be a Ubuntu 8.04.1 release on that date. This will improve the stability and usability. Also FireFox 3 stable is coming out in July. I think that they released Hardy Heron now because they want to stick to the every 6 months release cycle. That's why. It doesn't mean that you have to download a new ISO and burn a new cd. Just update and the system is automatic upgraded to version 8.04.1.

I tested some other distro's the last 2 week who all have the latest linux kernel 2.6.24-xx and they all seem to have a problem here and there. Mandriva is one of them. Opensuse Beta 1 already uses the 2.6.25 kernel, also had a look at this one and have to say it runs bloody well and fast. It's all a matter of time i believe before they smoothed the whole thing build around the new kernel.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Hardy has some very serious bugs. I tested Hardy on three machines and all ended up with a screen full of Network Manager errors. I submitted one of the two bug reports pertaining to this issue. The developer's seem to have no idea what is causing the problem, the bugs status is "Low" and one developer commented that the bug is only cosmetic! I was not impressed...

Floppy drive support is not working in Hardy at all. I submitted two bug reports on this. The first bug report was merged with one regarding a CD-ROM issue? I submitted another bug report, the priority was finally set to "Low" and again no answers. This bug really makes Hardy look bad to me because previous releases did not have this issue.

I can understand why Firefox 3 beta 5 was used and in my opinion it was a good decision because when Firefox 3 goes final it will be updated.

There are a lot of user's with NVidea cards having problems with their resolution and compiz.

If you try and change your GDM Theme in Hardy be prepared to wait a very long time for the application to open the first time you use it! There is a known bug in this that was left unfixed.

These are just some of the most obvious bugs. I went through the entire development process, what a nightmare! I have never seen so much breakage in my life! Hardy is in no way ready to become an enterprise solution, it is more of a beta.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Mathius Quest wrote:Okay, it might seem for some folks that Hardy Heron is not finished yet. Why do you think that they will release a "Service Pack 1" on the 3rd of July? Yes, there will be a Ubuntu 8.04.1 release on that date. This will improve the stability and usability.
Yes... 8.04.1 in July, pretty much like with Windows, where you shouldn't use a release before SP1, and even then... :twisted:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

I dont like this service pack style of updates, it seems to take away one of the big advantages of using Linux.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well - take away the bugs and it's actually quite good :wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Some of it is good. I hope Clem has some ideas on avoiding these bugs in Mint 5.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well... hold on a second here :) Don't expect miracles... the focus here is on the desktop, not on fixing hardware support and all. I don't want people to get disappointed. We're working hard, but we're mostly focusing on the desktop. If some hardware isn't supported well in Ubuntu, most likely we'll inherit the same problem and we don't have the resource to basically patch Ubuntu the way they patch Debian...

Clem
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

Sounds good clem 8)

I have Hardy running fine on 3 systems;

DVD burning OK
FireFox OK
Networking OK
MP3 & XViD playback OK
Printing to windows shared printer OK
aMSN OK
Transmission OK

I have not had any Firefox 3 issues yet but did notice some little things ...
Like the download window does not have a button to clear the downloads.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You were one of the lucky ones!

Here are some statistics on Hardy.

View Poll Results: What was your hardy install/upgrade experience ?
Upgrade - worked flawlessly 199 12.68%
Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve 459 29.25%
Upgrade - got many problems which i've not been able to solve 276 17.59%
Install - worked flawlessly 144 9.18%
Install - worked but had few things to solve 250 15.93%
Install - got many problems which i've not been able to solve 241 15.36%

1,569 people voted.
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

That is interesting ...

It would be nice to know the hardware differences.
ksousa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ksousa »

I've tried heron since his beta and with my linksys wireless never the things go straight ... but after the last upgrade she stoped to work ... well in the same computer i've mint daryna and everything his ok since many time before. Strange ... :roll:
And the eye candy of ubuntu is always the same boring thing (more compiz less compiz the artwork guys must be without any ideas of his job), for example i'm with mandriva 2008.1 in my laptop and the only word i've his...amazing!!!
But really i prefer mint and mandriva is until Elyssa, that i hope will be the best distro for 2008 ... but Clem in my country people says that the eyes eat as well the mouth ... eye candy and out of box are not enemies i presume :mrgreen:
Fred

Post by Fred »

ksousa

Interesting name sir. :-)

John Philip Sousa (November 6, 1854 – March 6, 1932) was an American composer and conductor of the late Romantic era known particularly for American military marches.

His music is/was quite popular in the USA.

Fred

Return to “Chat about Linux”