The browser plugin conspiracy to kill Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tek_heretik

The browser plugin conspiracy to kill Linux

Post by tek_heretik »

Some of you might go to a certain free games site like I do (played in the browser), some games will/won't play in Firefox, while others will/won't play in Chrome/Chromium, this is absolutely ridiculous, I am so sick of fighting with flash and java, it's not funny. On the very same page I am being told flash is too old, etc, to load the game, the flash based ads are blaring in my face (anybody else see the irony here?). Iced Tea will load and work in Firefox but not Chrome/Chromium...my head is spinning and I am at the point of boycotting sites with ridiculous plugin demands because in the end, it's all about licking the bum of MS, their monoply is still alive and well. Java is dropping Linux support, so is Flash, well I say f*** 'em, that just means a lot less annoying ads and security vulnerabilities.

Edit: Since Google stole Linux to write Android and have billions, they should step in a port these idiotic plugins.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
js3915

Re: The browser plugin conspiracy to kill Linux

Post by js3915 »

First i heard of this quite interesting... None the less is all about marketshare though i think MS is shooting themselves in their own foot with their latest windows release but people arent given much an alternative. windows has what 90% the marketshare mac like 5-7 linux 3-5... Only saving grace is open standards are being more adopted removing need for flash and other old arcaic languages.. Long as android and ubuntu tablets dominate the market i would think eventually one would see the tip sway back more towards open source.. but who knows time will tell.. Linux as a community needs to rise together and simply not bash but to educate.. Thankfully with alot becoming more web based the need for pripratory windows software is becoming less and less..

PS should post some these sites see if others have issues using the site or to suggest avoiding.. dno
uzername

Post by uzername »

It's f'kng Adobe. Flash sucks and I can't wait until it's dead. Google I think is pushing for html5, which might be why they didn't bother porting flash. Or maybe there's another reason involving legalities, agreements, etc., I really have no idea, but just know the sooner flash is gone, the better.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Be careful what you wish for...
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

It's not surprising that Google is pushing HTML5 as YouTube is theirs. On the other hand, their Chrome browser continues to bring Flash to Linux. I believe Google is more a friend to Linux than they are to MS, as evidenced by the fact that they primarily run a spin of Ubuntu on their workstations.

I've really been following the news on MS lately, and they are fast heading into desperation mode to try and compete with Linux and Android. They seem to be fighting a losing battle with Android, as their phone has already failed once. Now they are trying to follow Ubuntu's idea of using one OS across all devices. I think Ubuntu will succeed where MS has failed.

Back on topic, the only sight I've had problems with games is Pogo and their Java stuff. Most games I play are on Facebook which uses Flash and works great with Chrome for me.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

js3915 wrote: PS should post some these sites see if others have issues using the site or to suggest avoiding.. dno
I avoided actually naming the site because of legalities and forum rules, you have to be careful these days, everybody is so sensitive and litigious. :shock:
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

tek_heretik wrote: Since Google stole Linux to write Android and have billions...

:roll:
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

MartyMint wrote:
tek_heretik wrote: Since Google stole Linux to write Android and have billions...

:roll:
:-P
intok

Post by intok »

js3915 wrote:First i heard of this quite interesting... None the less is all about marketshare though i think MS is shooting themselves in their own foot with their latest windows release but people arent given much an alternative. windows has what 90% the marketshare mac like 5-7 linux 3-5... Only saving grace is open standards are being more adopted removing need for flash and other old arcaic languages.. Long as android and ubuntu tablets dominate the market i would think eventually one would see the tip sway back more towards open source.. but who knows time will tell.. Linux as a community needs to rise together and simply not bash but to educate.. Thankfully with alot becoming more web based the need for pripratory windows software is becoming less and less..

PS should post some these sites see if others have issues using the site or to suggest avoiding.. dno
I take it you don't look much into free or cheap gaming then, this has been a problem for years, recent examples would be AirMechs and Mini Ninjas, both apparently have Linux version, both are only available via Chrome, which no sane person uses, it's bad enough the NSA is spying on us, I'm not giving my data to Google as well if I can help it at all.

there are thousands of browser based games that just don't work on Linux at all and they aren't even using something like ActiveX. As a broke ass kid I used to play many of them on Windows in Firefox/Mozilla as I refused to use MSIE even then.

Marketshare has very little to do with it as I was a Mac user when they where well below the 5% mark and there where always games coming out for it, hell, there are allot of games that where exclusive to it or at least launched on Mac before anything else.

that said, theres no reason any game that has a native OS X port shouldn't also be ported to Linux and vice versa, if your game was ported from something else to OS X then the codebase is already portable and you've already converted the GPU calls to OpenGL so there isn't a whole lot left to make a Linux port as well.
excollier wrote:Be careful what you wish for...
Nah, Flash, Silverlight, Pepper, AIR, Java etc. all need to go the way of the Dodo already. There is only one site I've seen in 8 years that actually uses actual Java for something, the site's chat room, which is optional. Before that was a banking site that wanted to load a Java applet to run the transactions through, they got rid of it within months.
dee.

Post by dee. »

intok wrote:Nah, Flash, Silverlight, Pepper, AIR, Java etc. all need to go the way of the Dodo already.
Personally? I think it's better to just have Flash and Java than it is to have EME with its CDM plugins that are basically just browser plugins that are just as platform-specific as the old plugins. Flash and Java at least have Linux versions, the HTML5 DRM will only run on "certified platforms" - which means closed source, of course.

Return to “Chat about Linux”