I just installed LM15 cinnamon. I now have no sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

I just installed LM15 cinnamon. I now have no sound

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

After installing LM 15 cinnamon from having LM 13 cinnamon I have no sound. I had sound using 13 but not in 15. The dialog box is a bit different in 15 with a few more options than before .
I cannot get it to work. Any suggestions?

I have a Lenovo thinkcentre with a built in sound card and a SoundBlaster live card add on in the machine. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
uzername

Re: I just installed LM15 cinnamon. I now have no sound

Post by uzername »

Check your sound settings and make sure the right audio device is selected.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I read no sound in HDMI is one issue on default kernel 3.8-0-19 used by Mint15/ubuntu1304.

Whether your sound issue is related to kernel version , I do not know.

You can consider upgrade your kernel to the highest version available in the repos.
The last I remember, it was 3.8-0-26.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Has sound worked correctly and out of the box on any other distros? If so, which distro/version/kernel version? As stated, if it's a kernel issue you can try a newer one from the repos and test your sound. Also check to make sure sound levels aren't turned all the way down (distro settings, not volume) or muted. Sometimes in older version we had to open alsa mixer and actually move the slider up to get sound output because it was all the way down by default. I haven't had it happen recently, but never know.
hooked2u

Post by hooked2u »

Asking more questions to us newbies is no help. tbrown... indicates in 2nd sentence that sound worked in Linux Mint 13, but now that LM 15 is installed no sound. I have the same problem only I went from Linux Mint 11 32-bit to Linux Mint 15 64-bit. I had sound in Linux Mint 11, but not now with Linux Mint 15. I wonder what has changed between these versions that my hardware is no longer working.

My PC = HP TouchSmart300 PC; originally had Windows 7 OS; sound codec is Analog Devices AD1984A. I replaced W7 about 6 months ago with Linux Mint 11 (had old copy of Linux Format). Okay, I know the question 'why try fix it if its already working', but I saw a video on youtube about Linux Mint 15 Olivia Cinnamon and was impressed. So I backed up my personal files then installed LM 15. No sound with newest version of Linux Mint. Joined the Forum looking for answers. Hope someone can help.
hooked2u

My problem SOLVED: I just installed LM15 cinnamon; no sound

Post by hooked2u »

hooked2u wrote:My PC = HP TouchSmart300 PC; originally had Windows 7 OS; sound codec is Analog Devices AD1984A. I replaced W7 about 6 months ago with Linux Mint 11 (had old copy of Linux Format). Okay, I know the question 'why try fix it if its already working', but I saw a video on youtube about Linux Mint 15 Olivia Cinnamon and was impressed. So I backed up my personal files then installed LM 15. No sound with newest version of Linux Mint. Joined the Forum looking for answers. Hope someone can help.
As best I can tell the internal speakers of the all-in-one have ceased working. I have installed external speakers. I tried another LM user's suggestion: from xterm enter: setvol 0 100 <enter> then: setvol 5 100 100. The first setvol command was to set the volume range from 0 to 100 percent. The second setvol command was to set both left and right volume to 100 percent. No explanation was given why the number 5 preceded the 2 100 values.

After installation of LM 15 I had no sound from the internal speakers. I did have sound from earphones plugged in so the sound chip was working. After much frustration I purchased new external speakers to use rather than the earphones.

My problem is now solved. I will not rely on internal speakers in future hardware.

Return to “Sound”