How do I run Linux Mint from the Cd?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jokersloose

Re: How do I run Linux Mint from the Cd?

Post by jokersloose »

You just put the CD in the tray, reboot, enter your BIOS set-up and tell it to boot from the CD-Rom and it will load Mint for you and from there you can tell it too install.

Hope this helps

James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

mstarr,

I would suggest you take a look at the user guide to get you started.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =17&t=9053

Welcome to our world. :-)

Fred
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

mstarr wrote:I burnt linux mint iso file to a cd, but not sure how to run it from the cd or install it. This is the first time with Linux other than wubi install of unbuntu. Can anyone help?
Let's hope you didn't "burn the iso file to a cd", but rather the contents of it - Good Luck! - Welcome to Linux Mint!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

In short, you simply reboot the computer with the CD in the drive. It will then load from the CD.

If you have any problems with this consult the user guide.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I have seen that type error once with a machine that had a 3.5 floppy drive. We changed the boot order and still got the same message. I knew the CD had to work since it was the same CD I did my main install with. Tried it just once more, and it worked that time. That was the only installation glitch I have ever seen with a Mint Live CD. Oddly, I did hear of a guy who had to unplug his floppy drive for the system to get cranked up with Mint. It is certainly worth the learning experience in troubleshooting. Mint is an excellent distro. Good luck.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Re-download the ISO, this error is most commonly from a bad download.

Use a program to verify the MD5 sum.
xvedejas

Post by xvedejas »

Make sure you burn the .ISO at a very low speed! (I do all of mine at about 10x, that should be good)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

mstarr wrote:I burnt one at my slowest of 12x same result, three different cd's. I will try it on another pc perhaps this weekend and I will keep everyone posted.
A pity!
Hope it works out for you!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”