SOLVED Linux Mint 15 & Brother HL2240 Printer driver install

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KeefEcosse

SOLVED Linux Mint 15 & Brother HL2240 Printer driver install

Post by KeefEcosse »

Hi

I am new to Linux and this forum and would really appreciate some help. I have the following:

Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon 64-Bit *
Brother HL 2240 Laser printer.
* I don't know what my display environment is because I don't know how to find out !!! :oops:

I started to use Linux Mint 15 from Microsoft Windows 7 less than two weeks ago and I love it. It's proved to be a brilliant operating system and I much prefer it but getting the printer set up properly is proving to be a headache and I hope that I have missed something simple.

I have followed the help and advice online but without much success.

The System says CUPS is already installed so I downloaded hl2240lpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb driver from the Brother site.
Together they got the laptop and printer talking, it would load and eject the paper but without printing on it. At least they were talking though.

So I decided to try the cupswrapper driver so I downloaded cupswrapperHL2240-2.0.4-2.i386.deb again from Borther. They're not talkiing anymore.

Both drivers are sitting side by side in the downloads box.

I've spent about five hours on this so far so I have tried before asking for help. Can anyone offer me any advice please? Thanks in advance.

regards

Keef.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux Mint 15 and Brother HL2240 Printer driver install

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Keith;

welcome to linux and Mint; we hope it is all good for you;

so to get this printer working, you need the lpr and the cupswrapper drivers installed;

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_prn1a.html on this page Brother give detailed instructions: you can see in 4-3 and then 4-4 they say "lpr and then cupswrapper"

you say you have downloaded them; ......I am not clear if you have installed them.............

you can install them by opening the Downloads directory from your desktop; and right-click the lpr first; select "install with gdebi installer"; you will be asked for your sudo password; enter that

then install the cupswrapper driver the same way

then paste this http://localhost:631/printers

into a spare browser window...............does it now show an HL2240 driver in place?

______________________________________________________________________________________-

another way to check what you do; and don't have; installed.......is to paste this command
sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
into a terminal..............place ask if you need more detail explained
KeefEcosse

Post by KeefEcosse »

Thanks pdc_2. I will try it out tonight when I get home and let you know how I get on. Thanks.
KeefEcosse

Post by KeefEcosse »

Thanks for your help pdc_2.

I ended up back at the talking point without printing after following your advice. It was noticed that the Brother drivers installed are for 32 bit systems and you've guessed it mine is a 64. In the FAQs on the brother site it confirmed the driver staus so I downloaded the ia32 libs from the Mint software manager to get them talking. It worked.

I'm not looking forward to doing it again though if have to reinstall the software anytime soon.

Cheers

Keef.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: SOLVED Linux Mint 15 & Brother HL2240 Printer driver ins

Post by pdc_2 »

glad it has all worked for you

ia32 libs seems the necessary salt and pepper addition to several printer drivers
KeefEcosse

Re: SOLVED Linux Mint 15 & Brother HL2240 Printer driver ins

Post by KeefEcosse »

:D
bhintz

Re: linuxmint16 & Brother HL2240 Printer driver ins

Post by bhintz »

I have completed all of the above except localhost:631 which will not come up on my browser (chromium) in linuxmint 16. I am clearly missing something as all I get when I attempt to print a test page is a black sheet of paper out of the top. Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

bob

Return to “Printers & Scanners”