Solid State

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Solid State

Post by red-e-made »

I'd never thought of installing a solid state drive on my laptop, but this article I thought was pretty interesting. In it, they replace the opticle drive with a 32GB SSD, and leave the hard drive in. They put the OS (in this case, they tested Mac's) on the SSD and used the HD for storage. The performance was considerably faster. 32GB is more than enough for a Linux OS, and if the article's side-by-side installation comparison between a Macbook and a notebook is any indication, the operation is a considerably simpler on a notebook. Has anyone ever tried this dual drive thing, or had any experience using Linux on SSD's?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Solid State

Post by lakehousetech »

I know the new EePC's come with solid state drives, and I am tempted to get one for travel. Someone on here was asking about installing Mint on one recently. I'd like to know how that went as well. I'll take a look around the forums for that post.
Cambo

Post by Cambo »

I had read (I forget where, Ubuntu Wiki maybe?) that due to the journaling of the ext3 file system and the finite limit of read/write cycles with solid state memory, this could cause some issues eg a shorter life span. I'd look into this beforehand and possibly consider using ext2.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Cambo wrote:I had read (I forget where, Ubuntu Wiki maybe?) that due to the journaling of the ext3 file system and the finite limit of read/write cycles with solid state memory, this could cause some issues eg a shorter life span. I'd look into this beforehand and possibly consider using ext2.
Oh, don't worry. I'm not about to sacrifice my optical drive just yet. Especially seeing as how SSD's are both expensive and have little capacity. I was just curious if anyone has tried using SSD's with Linux, and if so, what were the results.

Return to “Hardware Support”