VirtualBox 1.5

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: VirtualBox 1.5

Post by 67GTA »

What happened?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
tawan

Post by tawan »

i'm going to do a how to on this - it wont be that good at first but will help - i will put it in the how to section of the forums
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

..and ready it is:

Tutorial!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Colin,
Colin wrote:Ok, i have now finally, set up the virtual hard disk with the following settings:
Type: Dynamically expandind image
Memory: 512MB
Size: 10GB
Audio: enabled "ALSA Audio Driver".
Thought i was ready to go but when i click on start i get this error message:
Virtual - error:
Failed to start the virtual machine LinuxTester
Help anyone please!
When you created your Virtualmachine what did you assign for the CD drive ?
Did you assign the virtual CD device to the real CDROM drive, if so did you put a Bootable CD in it when you started the Virtualmachine ?

If you didn't assign the Virtual CD device to the real CDROM drive, did you point the virtual CD device to an ISO image of a CDROM for the
virtualmachine to boot from ?

It looks to me that you may not have had anything for the virtual machine to boot from !

I don't think it is a groups issue as the error message would have been different.

Mike.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Colin!

Don't give up now, you are so close !
Colin wrote:Have installed the program along with all it's setting but when i put the Windows CD into the drive and click on Start, i am informed that WindXP [powered Off] and failed to start the virtual machine. Also, the VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Have decided to give up and call it a bad day. Too old to start learning new fangled things
Ok, once you added yourself to the vboxusers group you need to log out and then log in again for the change to take effect,
the group assignment is done at login time.

Once you have done this you will probably find that it works just fine.

Mike.
rhvkl

Post by rhvkl »

I've posted a way to work with VMWare in the Newbie-Forum. I personally prefer VMWare and gave up VirtualBox long time ago.
tawan

Post by tawan »

don't miss the Tutorial on Virtualbox :)

Mint Tutorial on Virtualbox
miket

Post by miket »

There's nothing wrong with VirtualBox, just like VMware, it needs to be setup correctly to function.
rhvkl wrote:I've posted a way to work with VMWare in the Newbie-Forum. I personally prefer VMWare and gave up VirtualBox long time ago.
rhvkl

Post by rhvkl »

You're right, AvanceIT. But the way to get it work is imho not as easy as it is in vmware, i.e. i had to remoce unique ids, because i wanted to port the machine from my vista laptop to my xp home pc, increment. savepoint adds a second vm-file with the exact filesize of your primary hdd (it doubles the needed space, looked at the vb-homepage: a bug), ...

:) I wasn't lucky with vbox and just wanted to give some users an alternative in case they didn't know that vmware is free, too.

Return to “Software & Applications”