tell which desktop is best which is better and which is good

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yasirassassin

tell which desktop is best which is better and which is good

Post by yasirassassin »

guys i am using linux mint 13 kde ..
i wanna know which desktop is best which is better and which is good..which has good stable graphic interface

these are my choices
kde mate cinnemon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rudemeister

Re: tell which desktop is best which is better and which is

Post by Rudemeister »

Which is better is completely subjective. I am using Mint 14 KDE 64-bit. My own bias is obvious. Regarding the stability issue is a little bit more complex. This really depends on your hardware too. Nvidia is generally believed to have the best stabilty if you are using lots of effects on your desktop. I also have all the cool 3D effects enabled in KDE.
NotoriousPyro

Post by NotoriousPyro »

I found:
Cinnamon to have quite a few bugs with also no way to remember window positions so I decided it wasn't for me.
MATE to be lacking in eye-candy.
Gnome2 is boring.
Gnome3 is TERRIBLE. So hard to get anything done, it's like fighting your computer to work on it.
XFCE is nice and fast but also lacking in eye-candy.
KDE is my favourite, lots of customisability, eye-candy, and nice and fast too!
Cerule

Post by Cerule »

Depends what qualities do you think make a good desktop. If you for example prefer lot's of customization, features and eye candy you can't go wrong with KDE.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep was one of those Gnome KDE bashers until I tried it.

As for me way to remember window positions & size as have dual displays with 3 workspaces.
So this is critical for my workflow. And KDE is the only one that does this out of the box.

Tag On having widgets in panel or desktop. As was always installing screenlets in gnome. As like to have basic Weather,Calendar,Time on Desktop. KDE makes it easier to add what is already built-in without the need to keep installing extra this and extra that.

Built it smooth compiz desktop effects no extra work involved. Outstanding Dolphin file manager. Built in separate wallpaper for dual displays, Fully configurable Applications & System notifications,Full keyboard & mouse keys assignment, And an overwhelming set of tweaking for themes.

With the others always found this missing or that you have to install something else that may or may not work right in a given DE.

With KDE everything is there. And if I don't need it then just ignore it and use what I need that KDE delivers out of the box.
albertfuller

Post by albertfuller »

for me, I found it quite a pleasure to install a bunch of desktops/window managers and play with them. At one time I had around nine different desktops/window managers. For me the real issue with desktop/window manager is (1) stability, (2) access to my collection of apps in my system & (3) stability.
If you computer is not very powerful then you can use a window manager when your session is a task and when you are surfing around then a bigger desktop is useful.
I find KDE the best in terms of stability, access to my collection of apps in my system & stability.
phutres

Post by phutres »

Right now KDE seems to be the best for me.

Xfce is #2. Blazing fast, solid, plus run without panels it gives tons of screen space that's wasted in other wm's .

Gnome2 was always close to xfce while suffering performance issues.

Mate lacks a lot of the things that made gnome2 great: many of the little extras are now gone.

Cinnamon is not ready yet, but if they ever get it to be smooth and more easy to configure(dual monitor window list support!!) It will be very nice.

I do all my work in an LMDE VM, in my WORK vm I use a very minimal MATE which does the trick, and allows me to focus on work, not configuratons and bugs.

I never liked KDE until after the gnome 3 debacle.
Shandaash

Post by Shandaash »

hello, falcon northwest fragbox(GEforce GTX 780 SLI)

thanks

Return to “Chat about Linux”