SOLVED: dual boot clock battle: Windows versus Linux

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
peyrol
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED: dual boot clock battle: Windows versus Linux

Post by peyrol »

I'm not sure where I should post this. It might belong in a Windows 7 forum.

I have a dual boot machine, LMDE Mate amd64 up6 and Windows 7 Home Premium. When I boot up Windows after having been in Linux, the time display is 4 hours ahead of where it should be. I live in Virginia, USA, which during the Summer puts me 4 hours behind UTC. My workaround has been to download a Windows app which I manually run to correct the time. But sometimes, the NIST time server which this app accesses is not available.

I believe the fundamental problem is, Linux wants to set the system clock to UTC, and modify the desktop displayed time based on my world location, whereas Windows goes on the assumption that the system time is my local time.

How can I get these two OSes to play nicely with each other in this respect? Is there some boot option to keep Linux from sabotaging Windows?

Thanks for your time, which hopefully will be less than four hours :-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
elbendecido

Re: dual boot clock battle: Windows versus Linux

Post by elbendecido »

http://showipinterfacebrief.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/syncing-windows-server-2008-r2s-time-with-debians-time/
peyrol
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED Re: dual boot clock battle: Windows versus Linux

Post by peyrol »

I used sudo to open an editor on /etc/adjtime, and it worked like a charm! Thanks.
elbendecido

Re: SOLVED: dual boot clock battle: Windows versus Linux

Post by elbendecido »

Don't forget this:
Defining the hardware clock in Linux as UTC means that Daylight Saving Time will automatically be accounted for. If using the localtime standard the system clock will not be changed for DST occurrences assuming that another operating system will take care of the DST switch

Return to “LMDE Archive”